Swedish M113 (WIP) - part 1

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Swedish M113 (WIP) - part 1

July 9th, 2012, 7:35 am #1

Hello again!

This one has been sitting on the "to do" shelf for almost a year now, so I felt it was time to get started with it again.

The Swede's used a few of these vehicles during the early 1960's in the Congo. They were painted in an interesting "Blue with Black spots" cammo and named after some of the seven dwarves from Snow White. My vehicle will be named "Kloker" (Swedish for "Doc").

Before the long break, I scratchbuilt most of the interior since I wanted the challenge, and also because I felt that the old Academy interior didn't quite fullfill my wish for a little extra detailing.

After that, the model turned into a shelf queen, until now...

Verlinden's brand new M113 interior gave the project a much needed kick-start. This is a truly stunning set, and if I had started this project again I would probably not have bothered to scratch build the interior parts. However, now that I have, I will use a mixture of Verlinden parts and my own.

I did not use the Verlinden fuel tank since it is a later version than the fixed tank which was mounted in the early days of the M113.

The left inner wall is warped, but this will not be problem once it is glued down. All parts in the pics below are only dry fitted, and will be glued after painting. As you can see, I am still testing different radio configurations to see which I prefer.
Not all wiring is in place quite yet. I can't swear that all the cables are going where they should be going, but I am mainly trying to get a "busy look" to the interior of the vehicle (but at the same time trying to follow references as closely as possible).

I have posted some of these pics here in the past, but will do a quick recap below since that was a long time ago.

Original pictures from the Congo are posted by kind permission of SPHF (Swedish Armour Historical Society).

Thanks for looking!
Sven

www.c4-open.se
www.plasticwarfare.se

Driver's station:

Driver's seat and post:

Commander's seat:

Jump seat:

Various interior components, including Verlinden parts:

Dry-fitted in the hull "bucket":

Last edited by young_sven on July 9th, 2012, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 9th, 2012, 8:03 am #2

It's nice to see you get down to business on all of your nice projects, especially this one. I belive this model will be a real stunner when complete and looks great so far! Seeing you taking care of your shelf queens inspires me to do the same, thank you

http://modelhobby.eu

July 9th, 2012, 8:21 am #3

I am glad you like it, and happy that I can inspire you to get started again with some of your shelf-queens.

I would love to see more of your destroyed bridge diorama!

July 9th, 2012, 8:30 am #4

Hello again!

This one has been sitting on the "to do" shelf for almost a year now, so I felt it was time to get started with it again.

The Swede's used a few of these vehicles during the early 1960's in the Congo. They were painted in an interesting "Blue with Black spots" cammo and named after some of the seven dwarves from Snow White. My vehicle will be named "Kloker" (Swedish for "Doc").

Before the long break, I scratchbuilt most of the interior since I wanted the challenge, and also because I felt that the old Academy interior didn't quite fullfill my wish for a little extra detailing.

Verlinden's brand new M113 interior gave the project a much needed kick-start. This is a truly stunning set, and if I had started this project again I would probably not have bothered to scratch build the interior parts. However, now that I have, I will use a mixture of Verlinden parts and my own.

I did not use the Verlinden fuel tank since it is a later version than the fixed tank which was mounted in the early days of the M113.

The left inner wall is warped, but this will not be problem once it is glued down. All parts in the pics below are only dry fitted, and will be glued after painting. As you can see, I am still testing different radio configurations to see which I prefer.
Not all wiring is in place quite yet. I can't swear that all the cables are going where they should be going, but I am mainly trying to get a "busy look" to the interior of the vehicle (but at the same time trying to follow references as closely as possible).

I have posted some of these pics here in the past, but will do a quick recap below since that was a long time ago.

Original pictures from the Congo are posted by kind permission of SPHF (Swedish Armour Historical Society).

Thanks for looking!
Sven

www.c4-open.se
www.plasticwarfare.se

Driver's station:

Driver's seat and post:

Commander's seat:

Jump seat:

how's the little tank going? is it finished now?

http://roman-bizarre.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/rvscale/
https://roman-the-modelmaker.blogspot.no/

July 9th, 2012, 8:34 am #5

At the moment, the little m/37 is taking a short break. I am not finding the peace of mind for complete scratchbuilding at the moment, but it'll come back to me (I still hope to have it done in time for C4 Open, but time is running out now, especially when I keep working on other projects haha)..

July 9th, 2012, 2:44 pm #6

Hello again!

Thanks for looking!
Sven

www.c4-open.se
www.plasticwarfare.se

Driver's station:

Driver's seat and post:

Commander's seat:

Jump seat:

really bringing back memories here. Superb scratchbuilding
J

July 9th, 2012, 3:37 pm #7

It is very gratifying to hear that I can bring back memories to someone who is so personallly familiar with the vehicle.
Much appreciated!

July 9th, 2012, 10:12 pm #8

Hello again!

Thanks for looking!
Sven

www.c4-open.se
www.plasticwarfare.se

Driver's station:

Driver's seat and post:

Commander's seat:

Jump seat:

Great to see this one moving forward. The combination of our favourite - the M113 - , the fact that it's Swedish, and that it sports a cool paint job makes it really special. Great to see this build receiving all the love and care it deserves through your work. Just make sure to finish it up now so the rest of us can enjoy the new tooled plastic M113 that undoubtedly will be released as soon as you're done

Cheers,
/E

July 10th, 2012, 5:07 am #9

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement, I am quite excited now that its back on the bench. There is something very special about the M113.
I am also excited about getting some paint on the interior, which should be fairly soon. I just need to make a choice: white or sea foam green. I think the green would be appropriate, even tjough this is an early wagon.

Yupp, sur as the sun rises every morning, I am sure that a new model of the M113 will be produced as soon as I am done, but I would love that to happen. We really need a new M113 now. C'mon Bronco, Meng, Hobbyboss, Trumpeter etc etc!

July 11th, 2012, 10:58 am #10

Hello again!

Thanks for looking!
Sven

www.c4-open.se
www.plasticwarfare.se

Driver's station:

Driver's seat and post:

Commander's seat:

Jump seat:

this is gonna be awsome when done! you taking a break from the small tank? haha