Suggestions for a good small diameter punch and die set ?

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Suggestions for a good small diameter punch and die set ?

June 14th, 2017, 6:21 pm #1

A vendor for same would also be appreciated,my old sets are about done after a faithful 25 years or so service.
J

June 14th, 2017, 6:47 pm #2

Hi
RP Toolz look very good. I particularly like the way they have keyed the Hez dies to ensure accuracy and punch life. Something the old Historex one don't do.

I don't have a RP Toolz set but looking to buy one as they do different sizes my Historex don't do..

http://www.rptoolz.com

Regards
Andrew

June 14th, 2017, 6:54 pm #3

Thanks Andrew !

June 14th, 2017, 11:19 pm #4

Always sad to see people selling/buying copies of other peoples designs.....
Last edited by Alasdair Johnston on June 14th, 2017, 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 14th, 2017, 11:35 pm #5

And a finger brake is a finger brake is a finger brake. Every punch or bending tool out there is the just the same idea or design that has been around since 1875 or so. To claim that some novelty for any design is just a sign of ignorance of what has come before.

KL
Last edited by Kurt-Laughlin on June 15th, 2017, 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 15th, 2017, 2:45 am #6

A vendor for same would also be appreciated,my old sets are about done after a faithful 25 years or so service.
J
Jer,

I've found that the UMM-USA tools are a good value.

http://www.umm-usa.com/onlinestore/inde ... ath=21_145

HTH,
Mike

June 15th, 2017, 6:10 am #7

And a finger brake is a finger brake is a finger brake. Every punch or bending tool out there is the just the same idea or design that has been around since 1875 or so. To claim that some novelty for any design is just a sign of ignorance of what has come before.

KL
I find it strange that people would scream blue murder if I took a really nice figure or resin engine/detail part: make a few changes and cast it but are happy to promote/accept this type of activity even if it is legal (costs to much to challenge) to do so.

original:

and this is the "oh look I drew this and did not know about the other"

I do not fully understand your defence to be honest.

Last edited by Alasdair Johnston on June 15th, 2017, 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 15th, 2017, 8:04 am #8

Hi Alasdar

Personally I would never knowingly promote copies or infringements of subjects.I actually own one of the 'original ' in your post.

However to be honest I've seen demonstration on forming brass/lead/ alliminum sheet using male/ female formers going back to the 1970's - replicating corrugated sheet sheets in the old Mil Mod mags. Also train modellers have used similar ideas for a long time as their use of brass long predates our use. So the idea is not exactly new.

Yes the designs are nearly the same but to be honest any former will follow the same format and if the 'original ' design is the ideal size then any others will be close otherwise they are not ideal. I think it's a bit like saying Revell paint brushes are copies of Winder and Newton paint brushes because the hairs and handle are the same way round and simiar length.

Another example are all the etched metal saws now available. The first one I remember were the Trimaster ones from Japan Due to cost and not ideal design plus they were hard to obtain others took the idea and improved it. Now there's lots of manufacturers saws to choose from of which some look practically the same as others.

Finally I haven't seen the ' original ' around for some time, is it still available?

Sorry you feel the way you do. The 'orginal' was maybe the first one on the market aimed at plastic modellers and the ideal size for us but it's not really 'patentable' so hence not original.

Kind regards
Andrew

June 15th, 2017, 8:15 am #9

J
But would not this thread be better located in the 'General' forum? I know some modellers would never look at the Axis or Allied forums, I think you might get further responses in the 'General' forum.

jh

June 15th, 2017, 2:15 pm #10

Jer,

I've found that the UMM-USA tools are a good value.

http://www.umm-usa.com/onlinestore/inde ... ath=21_145

HTH,
Mike
Thanks Mike ! This one looks the best so far