SU-100 in little steps construction done

Joined: July 4th, 2003, 2:33 pm

June 14th, 2018, 3:14 pm #1

A little clean up here and there and SU is ready for primer

any suggestions ? most of the parts are not glued because of the better handling while spraying


greetz Detlev
IMG_6348.JPG
IMG_6347.JPG
IMG_6346.JPG
IMG_6345.JPG
IMG_6344.JPG
IMG_6343.JPG
IMG_6342.JPG
IMG_6341.JPG
IMG_6340.JPG
IMG_6339.JPG
IMG_6348.JPG IMG_6347.JPG IMG_6346.JPG IMG_6345.JPG IMG_6344.JPG IMG_6343.JPG IMG_6342.JPG IMG_6341.JPG IMG_6340.JPG IMG_6339.JPG
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 25th, 2010, 11:34 pm

June 14th, 2018, 9:47 pm #2

It is looking good.  Is it possible to open the exhaust pipes a little more?
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 29th, 2009, 4:03 pm

June 15th, 2018, 1:12 am #3

Hey Detlev.
  It's my understanding that the casemate sides extended past the rear casemate plate.  Perhaps not all of them, I don't know.
http://data4.primeportal.net/tanks/carr ... _of_69.jpg
I agree with the other comment about thinning the exhaust pipes.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 4th, 2003, 2:33 pm

June 15th, 2018, 1:23 am #4

Tom Morgan wrote: It is looking good.  Is it possible to open the exhaust pipes a little more?
Hi Tom first thank you I will do that before i prime that model good to have another eye on it .I just  drill it more open but I gues not enough..I want to change the exhaust but I can´t get the right type fast enough .
greetz Detlev
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 4th, 2003, 2:33 pm

June 15th, 2018, 1:49 am #5

Paul Kirchner wrote: Hey Detlev.
  It's my understanding that the casemate sides extended past the rear casemate plate.  Perhaps not all of them, I don't know.
http://data4.primeportal.net/tanks/carr ... _of_69.jpg
I agree with the other comment about thinning the exhaust pipes.
Hi Paul are you sure that is a SU 100 ? It lacks the rear hatch as well .The welding seems are realy rough on this one on the pic but I see some teher are much worst than this .I bet there are so many differnces on all the russian tanks we can´t imagine .
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 29th, 2009, 4:03 pm

June 15th, 2018, 4:09 am #6

It is listed as one on that (Prime Portal) website and looks like one to me.  I built the DML SU-100 a couple years ago and a good friend told me to make sure and extend those side plates.  I think it is the same for the SU-85 as well.  Here is another pic (not as good but still noticeable) from the same website of a different SU-100.
http://data3.primeportal.net/tanks/dmit ... of_136.jpg
I think the design of the side plates extending make it easier to weld and stronger as well.  My Soviet reference books are very limited and I don't know if there were any factory variants.  It would suck to change what you have going but it is doable. Also, there were two different hatch types.  A one piece (top only) hatch and a two piece (top and rear) hatch.  I do build Soviet WWII  armor but I don't claim to be an expert.  Just wanted to share with you what I know.  Perhaps an inquiry in the 'Allied' DG would yield more information.  Well wishes and look forward to seeing your work completed.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 4th, 2003, 2:33 pm

June 15th, 2018, 8:22 am #7

Paul Kirchner wrote: It is listed as one on that (Prime Portal) website and looks like one to me.  I built the DML SU-100 a couple years ago and a good friend told me to make sure and extend those side plates.  I think it is the same for the SU-85 as well.  Here is another pic (not as good but still noticeable) from the same website of a different SU-100.
http://data3.primeportal.net/tanks/dmit ... of_136.jpg
I think the design of the side plates extending make it easier to weld and stronger as well.  My Soviet reference books are very limited and I don't know if there were any factory variants.  It would suck to change what you have going but it is doable. Also, there were two different hatch types.  A one piece (top only) hatch and a two piece (top and rear) hatch.  I do build Soviet WWII  armor but I don't claim to be an expert.  Just wanted to share with you what I know.  Perhaps an inquiry in the 'Allied' DG would yield more information.  Well wishes and look forward to seeing your work completed.
Thats the exhaust cover I want to go with but I can´t get it great Picture .It is a model for a Diorama so I gues I go deep enough with Research anyway and now Comes the funpart I just starting minor corretions and cleanup bevor I prime and spray  cannon is ready primed and the gaps are covered with Mr surfarcer 500 so all is smooth and even now .Next are the wheelsso Little steps again -I will do it by black and white technic I gues the best way of foreshadding -As on every model I am very excited how it turn out .I make a quick shot while I am on the bench  or more as one .Normaly the Pictures are only for me to see how things turn out .The Pictures I post are mor or less the reminders of them all .First Pic is after primeing and second one is after second layer and refining .I know that´s Kind of weird but I like it because I have all the stif at my bench so why don´t use it.The differences are very small but if I know some parts that don´t fit my imaginations this will be a mistakes  have to be  terminated .In this Process it could be happend I do 20 pics

greetz Detlev
IMG_6364.JPG
IMG_6354.JPG
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 12th, 2006, 4:25 am

June 17th, 2018, 1:39 pm #8

Paul Kirchner wrote: It is listed as one on that (Prime Portal) website and looks like one to me.  I built the DML SU-100 a couple years ago and a good friend told me to make sure and extend those side plates.  I think it is the same for the SU-85 as well.  Here is another pic (not as good but still noticeable) from the same website of a different SU-100.
http://data3.primeportal.net/tanks/dmit ... of_136.jpg
I think the design of the side plates extending make it easier to weld and stronger as well.  My Soviet reference books are very limited and I don't know if there were any factory variants.  It would suck to change what you have going but it is doable. Also, there were two different hatch types.  A one piece (top only) hatch and a two piece (top and rear) hatch.  I do build Soviet WWII  armor but I don't claim to be an expert.  Just wanted to share with you what I know.  Perhaps an inquiry in the 'Allied' DG would yield more information.  Well wishes and look forward to seeing your work completed.
The extension of the side plates to overlap the rear of the casemate was a later modification of the SU-100 hull. The SU-85M and maybe early SU-100 (I'm not really sure) would have had hulls similar to what you get in the model with the sides and rear being flush and with the additional hatch like those on the SU-85. The only "error" on this part of the kit is that the sides and rear should be tenoned (i.e. interlocking).
When the design changed extending the sides the rear door was also deleted. There may be transitional versions: flush sides but no tenons or extended sides with the hatch but if so I haven't seen a photo of them yet.
Quote
Like
Share