Stug III G Alkett detail questions

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Stug III G Alkett detail questions

March 25th, 2012, 11:55 pm #1

Hi guys,

I'm embarking on the outside now of a current project, which is a Stug III G from Alkett, which arrived in the LSSAH vehicle stocks in May 1944. I have a couple of detail questions regarding the outside.

Firstly, the aerial mounts on the rear of the upper superstructure. Were there always two mounts fitted, with only one being used in a normal vehicle, or did the Command versions only have two mounts?

Secondly, the storage frame around the rear deck, is there a definitive answer on how this was mounted, with the feet of the frame attached to the edge of the deck with the frame then extending outwards? Or did it extend towards the centre of the deck?

Thanks very much for any advice here, there will probably be more questions soon...

Cheers
Steve

Interested in and researching the vehicles and weapons of the Leibstandarte

March 26th, 2012, 5:12 am #2

Steve.
First they would build the StuGs and only later they would put the radio in, deciding which one will be "command" so as far as I know they all left the facory with both antenna mounts.

March 26th, 2012, 7:44 pm #3

Hi guys,

I'm embarking on the outside now of a current project, which is a Stug III G from Alkett, which arrived in the LSSAH vehicle stocks in May 1944. I have a couple of detail questions regarding the outside.

Firstly, the aerial mounts on the rear of the upper superstructure. Were there always two mounts fitted, with only one being used in a normal vehicle, or did the Command versions only have two mounts?

Secondly, the storage frame around the rear deck, is there a definitive answer on how this was mounted, with the feet of the frame attached to the edge of the deck with the frame then extending outwards? Or did it extend towards the centre of the deck?

Thanks very much for any advice here, there will probably be more questions soon...

Cheers
Steve

http://www.ww2incolor.com/d/531364-1/Loader+of+StuG

I have been taught that all the StuG III ausf.G variants carried at least two wireless receivers. Therefore two antenna mounts.

The normal StuG would carry one Fu16 transmitter/receiver combo in two boxes and one extra receiver of the same kind.

The command vehicle would have one Fu16 combo and one command set in two boxes. The command set would be on the loaders side as per in the Dragon Smart kits.

The German normal StuGs seem to have often carried the Fu16 combo on the loader side single racks, leaving the extra receiver sitting alone in the dual rack on the commanders side. The first photo shows this arrangement on the loaders side.

The second photo is from a Finnish StuG. It seems to have two of the Fu16 racks on the right side too. It is difficult to see if the transmitter is present in the foremost rack...

Cheers,
Pekka

March 27th, 2012, 2:28 am #4

Thanks guys,

That clears that up, and I have worked out the frame attachment from various photos...

Now there will be something else soon no doubt!

Cheers
Steve