Stug III ausf A

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Stug III ausf A

September 27th, 2017, 9:17 am #1

Hello,
Did the stug ausf A had cleaning rods on the side in may 1940? They are included in the Dragon box but not mentioned in the instructions or the box art. When googling the results are not conclusive.
I want to make one from stug abt 640 becoming Grossdeutchland abt 16 in the second phase of the French campaign, did they wear the white helmet emblem and the white letter "K" in this stage of the campaign?

Thanks

Eddy

September 27th, 2017, 6:40 pm #2

Hi
Yes, photos in the T Anderson new book show Stug3 A of 640 with the gun cleaning rods on the left side as per Ausf B.

Unfortunately no photo to help you on the markings issue.

Regards
Andrew

September 28th, 2017, 7:32 am #3

Thank you, Andrew.Very appreciated.

Eddy

September 28th, 2017, 4:18 pm #4

Hello,
Did the stug ausf A had cleaning rods on the side in may 1940? They are included in the Dragon box but not mentioned in the instructions or the box art. When googling the results are not conclusive.
I want to make one from stug abt 640 becoming Grossdeutchland abt 16 in the second phase of the French campaign, did they wear the white helmet emblem and the white letter "K" in this stage of the campaign?

Thanks

Eddy
Gentlemen

I read this short thread with interest as I want to build a 1/72 StuG IIIA in the French campaign, kitbashing the imminent Dragon StuG IIIB quickbuild kit with a better lower hull/suspension & OKB Grigorov tracks. Can either of you recommend any books that have reasonable coverage of the Stug IIIA in France, whether of not they show the StuG Komp.640 markings ? What is the title of the book that Andrew mentioned ? I already have the 'Case Yellow' (Firefly No.5) book by Dennis Oliver.

Many thanks.

Andy Lang
Last edited by Andy Lang on September 28th, 2017, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'No, I don't know what I'm doing. I never did'. (Carol Aird, 1952)

September 28th, 2017, 5:31 pm #5

n/t

September 28th, 2017, 8:50 pm #6

Gentlemen

I read this short thread with interest as I want to build a 1/72 StuG IIIA in the French campaign, kitbashing the imminent Dragon StuG IIIB quickbuild kit with a better lower hull/suspension & OKB Grigorov tracks. Can either of you recommend any books that have reasonable coverage of the Stug IIIA in France, whether of not they show the StuG Komp.640 markings ? What is the title of the book that Andrew mentioned ? I already have the 'Case Yellow' (Firefly No.5) book by Dennis Oliver.

Many thanks.

Andy Lang
Hi
The recentl book by T Anderson has a good selection of 1940 photos and text. The first 80 pages out of a total 280.

Thomas Anderson
Sturmartillerie
Pub. Osprey.

Quite a few come up on Facebook StuG group.

Regards
Andrew

September 28th, 2017, 10:36 pm #7

'No, I don't know what I'm doing. I never did'. (Carol Aird, 1952)

September 29th, 2017, 12:05 am #8

Hi
The recentl book by T Anderson has a good selection of 1940 photos and text. The first 80 pages out of a total 280.

Thomas Anderson
Sturmartillerie
Pub. Osprey.

Quite a few come up on Facebook StuG group.

Regards
Andrew
Thanks for directing me to those books and other information.

Eddy

September 29th, 2017, 1:43 pm #9

Hello,

Thanks

Eddy
Eddy,

Maybe I can help.
Send me an email ; thierry.luypaert@skynet.be

Regards,Thierry

October 1st, 2017, 7:44 pm #10

Gentlemen

Many thanks.

Andy Lang
Vorwärts immer rückwärts nimmer! covers the first 6 Stug batteries and 5 Abteilungen

https://www.zvab.com/products/isbn/9783 ... 9-_-isbn10

Regards from Vienna
Robert