strongest cleaner for acrylics

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

strongest cleaner for acrylics

October 19th, 2007, 7:08 pm #1

Acrylics are water-based--which means that over time any residue is harder to clean. If one neglects clean enamels--thinners and solvents can still purge unwanted gunk or residue. What heavy duty clearn to people recommend for acrylics.
I use an aztec airbrush. After i am done, I run a shot of alchohol through it to clean it. But I find over time the nozzles get bogged down. I learned how to disassemble the nozzles, and want to know what I could soak them in to truly strip them of any residue or gunk that builds over time.

Thanks.

D.

October 19th, 2007, 7:36 pm #2

There is a bit of a misconception that Acrylics are water based, they are not. Any paint which is water based will 're-wet' with water. Acrylic is solvent based, but it is mixed with an emulsifier and then suspended in water as the carrier medium. Alcohol and other spirits can also be used as a carrier and mixed in as long as they will mix with water.
(Even the paint industry calls them waterbased these days... it just makes it easier. Recent European legislation calls the water based too.)

Anyway, I'd recommend using the prescribed airbrush cleaner that Aztec recommend. I use cellulose thinners for a metal bodied airbrush, but I don't know what this will do to a plastic airbrush... probably nothing in the short term. Air brush cleaner can be kinda expensive, I think it's just some kind of banana oil like nail polish remover, so you could try that?

October 19th, 2007, 8:56 pm #3

For what it is worth, I have the metal aztec. Much better than the plastic one. I wonder if nail polish remover would work to soak the nozzles in. I would not try it on the brush itself--but nozzles are not all that expensive.

D.

October 20th, 2007, 12:30 pm #4

I had occasion to borrow some nail varnish remover from my mother about two weeks ago, anyway, she supplied it in a Fruit-Shoot bottle. Just incase it ate all the way through I put it out in the garden.

Anyway, my daughter has done it again! Nail varnish everywhere!

The point is, the plastic bottle appears untouched after 2 weeks. So I expect that if it isn't harsh enough to melt a soft drink bottle, it won't touch plastic which is designed to be chemical resistant.

My wife says that the cheapest place to buy nail varnish remover would probably be one of these shops where everything is £1, as they usually sell cosmetics.

October 20th, 2007, 1:41 pm #5

Beware the dangers of storing solvents in drinks bottles. While everyone in your family may know not to drink it and you may think you have stored it in a safe place - accidents do happen.

Pat McGrath
Work to become not to acquire

October 20th, 2007, 6:34 pm #6

No worries... the bottle is clearly marked and kept under lock and key.

October 22nd, 2007, 2:10 pm #7

Acrylics are water-based--which means that over time any residue is harder to clean. If one neglects clean enamels--thinners and solvents can still purge unwanted gunk or residue. What heavy duty clearn to people recommend for acrylics.
I use an aztec airbrush. After i am done, I run a shot of alchohol through it to clean it. But I find over time the nozzles get bogged down. I learned how to disassemble the nozzles, and want to know what I could soak them in to truly strip them of any residue or gunk that builds over time.

Thanks.

D.
There is a very strong cleaner called Simple Green, a bright green citrus based cleaner which strips acrylics very easily. I soak my airbrush in it and it cleans up even very old dry paint, I've used it to strip models and cleaned brushes with it when the paint starts drying too fast. Another thing to use is an ammonia based window cleaner, you can soak the A/B overnight and scrub it with a small brush.

"Winter Warfare"
AMPS Centex South Centeral Regional 2007
October 20, 2007
http://www.austinarmorbuilders.com/show ... 7_Show.htm

October 22nd, 2007, 9:27 pm #8

Thanks.

D.
Never ever had a clogged needle or airbrush proplem,though I see many posts about proplems with Aztec products,,,,,,,

October 23rd, 2007, 4:13 pm #9

There is a very strong cleaner called Simple Green, a bright green citrus based cleaner which strips acrylics very easily. I soak my airbrush in it and it cleans up even very old dry paint, I've used it to strip models and cleaned brushes with it when the paint starts drying too fast. Another thing to use is an ammonia based window cleaner, you can soak the A/B overnight and scrub it with a small brush.

"Winter Warfare"
AMPS Centex South Centeral Regional 2007
October 20, 2007
http://www.austinarmorbuilders.com/show ... 7_Show.htm
Thanks guys. I am most interested in the simple green stuff. THanks for all your help. Good to know i am not the only having these issues. . ..

D.