strange question

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

strange question

keith forsyth
keith forsyth

August 22nd, 2001, 11:19 am #1

Hi all

i know it may seem like a strange question, but did all the buildings during ww2 have electricity in them. we take it for granted now that all houses would have it but back then there proberly was a greater relience on fossil fuel (coal, gas etc)

can anybody help me out

cheers

keith forsyth

Jakko Westerbeke
Jakko Westerbeke

August 22nd, 2001, 11:54 am #2

Pre-war buildings didn't necessarily have electricity, or running water for that matter. I would expect city houses to have both of these, at least in western and central Europe, but in smaller towns and villages I think only the more expensive houses (and other buildings) would have these amenities.

I'm basing this mostly on things I've been told about the post-war rebuilding of the villages in my area, some of which had been heavily bombed and shelled in 1944. People suddenly got to deal with all these newfangled features like electric lighting, running water, and indoor toilets, and made some choices that nowadays come across as a bit silly, like not having a light in the bathroom because they figured you would be able to find your way around in the dark anyway

Robert Skipper
Robert Skipper

August 23rd, 2001, 2:48 am #3

Hi all

i know it may seem like a strange question, but did all the buildings during ww2 have electricity in them. we take it for granted now that all houses would have it but back then there proberly was a greater relience on fossil fuel (coal, gas etc)

can anybody help me out

cheers

keith forsyth
See response in other forum. Short answer, my apartment in Berlin did not.