Strange problem with MIG pigments

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Strange problem with MIG pigments

December 29th, 2005, 11:09 am #1

Hello,
I tried to use MIG pigmens with groundwork for a diorama - I used dark mud, european dust and russain mud.

I tried the method given by MIG, and mixed matt cote from humbrol, tamiya thinner and the pigment. at first all went well, when I brushed the mixture with only the dark mud mixed with europe dust on the ground.

I decided to add some depth by adding the russaion earth to the mix to darken it.

well, after a few strokes, the color I got was turning red (!), so: what did I do wrong? I also tried the russain pigment alone, and when I I brushed it the dark color vanished, leaving the ground again with a red hue... is the russain earth color a strong reddish color, looking at the dry pigment it looks like black-brown color.

All these a side, When it was dry I tried the pigments dry, and result is spectacular. I never seen anything like it and it is turning into the best groundwork I managed to create. But I'll feel better if I can use the varnish-thinner mix to fix it to the base.

Thanks for the assistance,
Eyal.

December 29th, 2005, 2:56 pm #2

Humbrol varnish is an enamel, and Tamiya thinner is alcohol based. Possibly, too, if you used some sort of paint on the base before the pigments, either the enamel varnish or the alcohol would have softened the paints and mixed them with the pigments.
DAVID NICKELS

January 1st, 2006, 4:30 pm #3

Hello,
I tried to use MIG pigmens with groundwork for a diorama - I used dark mud, european dust and russain mud.

I tried the method given by MIG, and mixed matt cote from humbrol, tamiya thinner and the pigment. at first all went well, when I brushed the mixture with only the dark mud mixed with europe dust on the ground.

I decided to add some depth by adding the russaion earth to the mix to darken it.

well, after a few strokes, the color I got was turning red (!), so: what did I do wrong? I also tried the russain pigment alone, and when I I brushed it the dark color vanished, leaving the ground again with a red hue... is the russain earth color a strong reddish color, looking at the dry pigment it looks like black-brown color.

All these a side, When it was dry I tried the pigments dry, and result is spectacular. I never seen anything like it and it is turning into the best groundwork I managed to create. But I'll feel better if I can use the varnish-thinner mix to fix it to the base.

Eyal.
I've used russian earth on several vehicles, with different mediums, and i somehow get white 'dots'?
Jan

January 1st, 2006, 5:25 pm #4

Hello,

Eyal.
I have used it and also gotten the "red" dots plus green dots...
I think that the Russian Earth is badly mixed or something, I've tried mixing it more by shaking it violently but to no avail...

HTH,
Kris

January 1st, 2006, 7:47 pm #5

Hi,
It seems that there are tiny flecks of red and green pigments in the russian earth I have.

It isn't very nice to find out the nice groundwork I just did turned red, like vietnam or something...