Strange box in the Sd.Kfz.251/21 Question

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Strange box in the Sd.Kfz.251/21 Question

July 3rd, 2012, 12:13 pm #1

Im still working on an Sd.Kfz.251/21 Early version whit MG-151 15mm machineguns. There are still some thinks I do not understand. So is the question were the spare barrels were stored. I do know there exist a wooden crate for 3 spare barrels but was this box used?

On the photos linked below there is strange sort of metal box to see between the driver and commanders seat. Some time ago when I saw these photos I thought it was some rubies but now when I look closer it looks it belongs at this place. Maybe this is the place the spare barrels were stored.

I know almost for certain nobody has the info I seek but I had to ask. Has anyone more info on the inside of the Sd.Kfz.251/21

These photos came from.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/me ... part+three

July 3rd, 2012, 1:42 pm #2

Could it be that the spare barrels were in the box on top of the roof, as shown here?

Would then be easier to change barrels with the guns still pointing forwards?

Eric

edit: would be similar to the SdKfz 251/17 then...
Last edited by Eric Reist on July 3rd, 2012, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 3rd, 2012, 1:59 pm #3

That is indeed the box for 3 spare barrels Eric.

But this was not the standaard location for this box.
So were inside was it placed? And was it in use? I do not know.

All the best

Marcel

July 3rd, 2012, 2:36 pm #4

nt
DAVID NICKELS

July 3rd, 2012, 3:37 pm #5

I don't think so David.

If you look close you see a sort of frame on the under side that is holding the box whit at least two strips. The one on the right side has one rivet or bolt and the strip on the left has 2 rivets or bolts.
That is the reason I think it is some sort of standard.

There are as far as I know almost no interior photos of the 21 version and the late type is different from the early version. Almost all photos that show the interior are from a later type or are taken from vehicles that are damages in such way that there is almost nothing left from the inside.

Thanks

Marcel

July 3rd, 2012, 4:45 pm #6

I can't see a frame but to me I see a box with a handle on the end and there is a wire/cord from the handle going back perhaps to the side vision slit? Hard to say. But, that is how I see it. It isn't a very clear picture. I have not seen any other photo of this version with a frame or box in this location, so to me it seems that its just where they put the spare barrels on this particular vehicle. The box for the barrels is not very large and could be stowed inside loose rather than be mounted on the hull side wall, etc.

I like this vehicle very much and wish there were more/better photos of it.
DAVID NICKELS

July 3rd, 2012, 6:02 pm #7

Hi

I can't confirm if the boxes between the driver and vehicle commander are fitted as a production feature.

I do believe the boxes were NOT for the spare gun barrels. The gun barrels look to be too long to fit in them, even verticle storage.

Think they were storage bins of some sort ( crew gear?), as the weapon mount and ammo storage took up a lot of room in the inside.

just my thoughts.

HTH
andrew

July 3rd, 2012, 9:46 pm #8

I was describing the long thin box outside the in front, that lies across the width of the vehicle. Not the squat box between the drivers seats that is just not the right size for barrels (ammo?)
DAVID NICKELS

July 4th, 2012, 6:52 am #9

Im still working on an Sd.Kfz.251/21 Early version whit MG-151 15mm machineguns. There are still some thinks I do not understand. So is the question were the spare barrels were stored. I do know there exist a wooden crate for 3 spare barrels but was this box used?

On the photos linked below there is strange sort of metal box to see between the driver and commanders seat. Some time ago when I saw these photos I thought it was some rubies but now when I look closer it looks it belongs at this place. Maybe this is the place the spare barrels were stored.

I know almost for certain nobody has the info I seek but I had to ask. Has anyone more info on the inside of the Sd.Kfz.251/21

These photos came from.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/me ... part+three

Barry Crook, the author of the linked thread stated in the past that this wooden box between the 2 seats was a cover which housed a ammo belting machine.

I can't find his original message but this kind of machine was dedicated to one of 3 SdKfz251/21.

I will try to find his message (going back to 2004 area).

July 4th, 2012, 10:15 am #10

Last evening I have made some measurements and indeed this is not the place for the spare barrels. The idea was that the box would act as a sort of trash bin were the barrels could place in to cool down. There is however no room to manoeuvre these long barrels in this position.
The ammunition belt machine option looks a very plausible explanation for this box.

However were do you place 3 very hot barrels to cool down.

I dont see any room inside the 251 for the complete spare barrel box. Only on the floor but that space is needed for the crew.
The upper side armour is the only place were there is room for fittings and spare barrels. This however not an easy place to put the barrels especially if they are very hot and the crew is in a hurry to get rid of them fast.

If I let my mind go free Im more thinking on a double frame like a bucket for youre wet umbrellas somewhere near the gun. The first frame for the cool set and the second one for the hot set. This doesnt take much space and is easy to handle. So not horizontal but vertical storage.

I really do not know how they deed it.

I will start whit making the 3 spare barrels and will see were they will fit.

Thanks for searing your thoughts whit me on this question.

Marcel