Stowage color ?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Stowage color ?

September 1st, 2006, 9:18 pm #1

Could someone tell me the simple color to the ammo boxes!!! Are they wood or are the O.D. ( Khaki Drab ) as the base!!! Bob

September 2nd, 2006, 1:22 pm #2

There is no one set answer. Have seen modern IDF Boxes in natural wood. W.W. II boxes were usually in the overall "military" color for that nation's boxes. German boxes were usually Grey, Dark Yellow, etc. US stuff was Olive. Natural colors were common too... like some of the German wicker containers. Pictures are pretty common, and even in B/W you can get a good idea of something is painted or not (and if its a dark color or light) or if its natural.
DAVID NICKELS

September 2nd, 2006, 2:42 pm #3

Could someone tell me the simple color to the ammo boxes!!! Are they wood or are the O.D. ( Khaki Drab ) as the base!!! Bob
First off, you can forget about 'khaki drab' as the colour is something made up by model paint manufacturers. British boxes (wood or metal) then and now are painted dark brown, semi-gloss for metal. The exceptions would be non-British boxes such as US 75mm etc,, which seem to have been generally left unpainted wood. US metal boxes (e.g. .50 cal and .30 cal) seem to have been OD No.9 but I have not studied these in any depth.

Of course none of this is any use if you are building German stuff, but the question was a little non-specific.

September 7th, 2006, 2:47 am #4

There is no one set answer. Have seen modern IDF Boxes in natural wood. W.W. II boxes were usually in the overall "military" color for that nation's boxes. German boxes were usually Grey, Dark Yellow, etc. US stuff was Olive. Natural colors were common too... like some of the German wicker containers. Pictures are pretty common, and even in B/W you can get a good idea of something is painted or not (and if its a dark color or light) or if its natural.
Thank you for the great answer! I have seen both and you answered it perfectly. I appreciate your time to answer this "newby" question.
Bob

September 7th, 2006, 3:07 am #5

First off, you can forget about 'khaki drab' as the colour is something made up by model paint manufacturers. British boxes (wood or metal) then and now are painted dark brown, semi-gloss for metal. The exceptions would be non-British boxes such as US 75mm etc,, which seem to have been generally left unpainted wood. US metal boxes (e.g. .50 cal and .30 cal) seem to have been OD No.9 but I have not studied these in any depth.

Of course none of this is any use if you are building German stuff, but the question was a little non-specific.
I really appreciate your time to answer this. Sorry about the vage question but you've answered it. Thanks Bob