Still Confused About Some T-72 Turrets

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Still Confused About Some T-72 Turrets

July 3rd, 2012, 9:51 am #1

Hi All,

I should first state that I want to build an East German ,NVA vehicle

I have the Tamiya 1/35 kit which I'm advised represents the T-72M Übergangsversion produced by Poland in small numbers for the NVA, basically a T-72M turret on a T-72M1 hull?. Now am I correct in thinking that even for this version the turret is not the correct shape and is too rounded and really needs the sides extended and a sharper "bend" between the front armour and the sides? Not the best explanation but I hope people will understand. Are there any walkarounds on the internet that are definitely the T-72M Übergangsversion?

I also have the JS Models T-72M1 turret and what I cant figure out is how this differs from the T-72M turret (other than the modifications mentioned above)?

Also if I put the JS Turret on the Tamiya kit will I have a T-72M1 as used by NVA?

I'll post this on the German Language Forum also when I get my mum to translate it for me.

Thanks for any replies.
Regards,
Andy
Last edited by Andy Macrae on July 3rd, 2012, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 3rd, 2012, 2:00 pm #2

Last edited by Scott Dimmick on July 3rd, 2012, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Griffin: Any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.

July 3rd, 2012, 3:38 pm #3

Hi All,

I should first state that I want to build an East German ,NVA vehicle

I have the Tamiya 1/35 kit which I'm advised represents the T-72M Übergangsversion produced by Poland in small numbers for the NVA, basically a T-72M turret on a T-72M1 hull?. Now am I correct in thinking that even for this version the turret is not the correct shape and is too rounded and really needs the sides extended and a sharper "bend" between the front armour and the sides? Not the best explanation but I hope people will understand. Are there any walkarounds on the internet that are definitely the T-72M Übergangsversion?

I also have the JS Models T-72M1 turret and what I cant figure out is how this differs from the T-72M turret (other than the modifications mentioned above)?

Also if I put the JS Turret on the Tamiya kit will I have a T-72M1 as used by NVA?

I'll post this on the German Language Forum also when I get my mum to translate it for me.

Thanks for any replies.
Regards,
Andy
Hi Andy
You should check out this discussion on ML a few years back:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/th ... rret-+Good

I do not think the Tamiya turret is correct for any version.

By the way, T-72M1 turret is basically similar to a Russian T-72A turret, i.e it has the beefed up frontal armour with the characteristic undercut below the smoke dischargers. The T-72M turret is the same as the very earliest Russian built T-72 examples, which are described as just T-72 and do not have any other designator, the turret is similar in shape to the T-72 'Ural' turret but doesn't have the coincidence range finder.

Rob

July 4th, 2012, 10:04 pm #4

Thanks, most useful. n/t

July 4th, 2012, 10:05 pm #5

Hi Andy
You should check out this discussion on ML a few years back:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/th ... rret-+Good

I do not think the Tamiya turret is correct for any version.

By the way, T-72M1 turret is basically similar to a Russian T-72A turret, i.e it has the beefed up frontal armour with the characteristic undercut below the smoke dischargers. The T-72M turret is the same as the very earliest Russian built T-72 examples, which are described as just T-72 and do not have any other designator, the turret is similar in shape to the T-72 'Ural' turret but doesn't have the coincidence range finder.

Rob
Thanks, that does clear things up. n/t