Started - Wolf Battalion Panther Ausf. A Conversion

Hosted by Luciano Rodriguez and Pat Johnston, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/48 scale AFV, vehicle and figure modelling.

Started - Wolf Battalion Panther Ausf. A Conversion

May 2nd, 2012, 4:16 pm #1

Dear All,
I've got a basic start on this conversion. I've waited awhile to get this (and the Ausf. D) in my hands. I'm not particularly a Panther nut, but I'd like to build an example of each Ausfuhrung for my collection.

I opened the box and was a little disappointed at first. In my mind the quality of the casting wasn't that great. It took me a day of just looking at it and looking at pictures and reading Bob's small instruction sheet. I decided to tackle the job by first cleaning up the resin. It was chunky, but no casting blocks attached. After getting through all that resin, I could see the reasoning behind the specific molding. Essentially its a thick chunk that has to be ground down, but the parts had no warpage, almost no air bubbles, and cleaned up very well.

I'm building this up as either 800 or 801 of 8/SS-PzRegt.5 of Wiking SS-PzDiv. I'm going to have to scratch a new rear hull. The one provided with the kit is all "zimmed" up and not accurate for either of those tanks. I also didn't like the shape of the lifting hooks on the side plates at the rear. You'll notice they're missing in the photo, but will be replaced later. Otherwise, this is a well made conversion, but like most requires some modeling and research skills to be applied.

Yours,
Shon

Here's a peek of the upper hull cleaned up with the rear and turrent laid on for a better overall view.

Last edited by shonrs on May 2nd, 2012, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 2nd, 2012, 9:26 pm #2

Hi Shon, Bravo for being the first that I am aware of having a go and showing the Panther A in progress
I agree that there is a bit of clean up involved but I am sure the end result will be worth it.

What in particular is up with the rear hull that has you making a new one? I was looking at my conversion and was thinking of adding an internal bracing wall across the hull width. Then again my set is still in the box and will be many months behind your build.

Not sure how much of a accuracy nut ( ) you are when it comes to models but are you aware that PART photoetch do a set for the Jagdpanther that contains two of the mesh screen for the Panther A deck? Only downside is you would need two complete sets to make the 4 mesh grills.

Anyways.. delighted to see somebody tackling this Panther conversion and will be following your progress intently. Please do share any hic-ups or how to's during the build

Best

Paul

May 3rd, 2012, 12:46 pm #3

Dear All,
I've got a basic start on this conversion. I've waited awhile to get this (and the Ausf. D) in my hands. I'm not particularly a Panther nut, but I'd like to build an example of each Ausfuhrung for my collection.

I opened the box and was a little disappointed at first. In my mind the quality of the casting wasn't that great. It took me a day of just looking at it and looking at pictures and reading Bob's small instruction sheet. I decided to tackle the job by first cleaning up the resin. It was chunky, but no casting blocks attached. After getting through all that resin, I could see the reasoning behind the specific molding. Essentially its a thick chunk that has to be ground down, but the parts had no warpage, almost no air bubbles, and cleaned up very well.

I'm building this up as either 800 or 801 of 8/SS-PzRegt.5 of Wiking SS-PzDiv. I'm going to have to scratch a new rear hull. The one provided with the kit is all "zimmed" up and not accurate for either of those tanks. I also didn't like the shape of the lifting hooks on the side plates at the rear. You'll notice they're missing in the photo, but will be replaced later. Otherwise, this is a well made conversion, but like most requires some modeling and research skills to be applied.

Yours,
Shon

Here's a peek of the upper hull cleaned up with the rear and turrent laid on for a better overall view.

n/t

May 3rd, 2012, 8:20 pm #4

Hi Shon, Bravo for being the first that I am aware of having a go and showing the Panther A in progress
I agree that there is a bit of clean up involved but I am sure the end result will be worth it.

What in particular is up with the rear hull that has you making a new one? I was looking at my conversion and was thinking of adding an internal bracing wall across the hull width. Then again my set is still in the box and will be many months behind your build.

Not sure how much of a accuracy nut ( ) you are when it comes to models but are you aware that PART photoetch do a set for the Jagdpanther that contains two of the mesh screen for the Panther A deck? Only downside is you would need two complete sets to make the 4 mesh grills.

Anyways.. delighted to see somebody tackling this Panther conversion and will be following your progress intently. Please do share any hic-ups or how to's during the build

Best

Paul
Paul,
Thanks for the encouragement. I usually dive head first into these things and then cool off after a bit. The only reason I feel compelled to rebuild the rear hull is that the storage boxes are molded in place and there is zimmerit on the armored housings for the exhausts. In the reference photos I have there isn't any zimm on these and I'm going for a box ripped off look too. I don't think I can smooth out the molded on zimmerit well enough in this spot, so I'll just redux.

I'll check out that PART set. Thanks for the info as I was unaware. I'll be sure to post update of my progress as it unfolds.

Yours,
Shon
Last edited by shonrs on May 3rd, 2012, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 7th, 2012, 11:34 am #5

Dear All,

Yours,
Shon

Shon,

Most welcome. I was really corious about the WB Panthers because very little information about those conversions were available in the net and no one making a decent review of the product yet.

Please keep us posted.
Lu