Spraying MMP and MIG Powders

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Spraying MMP and MIG Powders

January 29th, 2006, 3:55 pm #1

Hi,

I have never used MMP or MIG powders before and want to know how to use them. What do you mix with them to spray them with an airbrush? Also how much powder do you put in? Should it be mostly powder and thick like paint or mainly mixing solution with very little powder? I have also wondered about the effects on my airbrush. This stuff will not damage it in any way will it?

Thanks,

Darren Gilbert

January 30th, 2006, 2:33 pm #2

I mix MIG pigments with Testors clear flat laquer (the stuff in the big bottle). I thin it maybe 60/40 with more laquer than thinner.

Then i add some small amounts of the MIG pigment until I get the opacity I want. Less pigment means a lighter dusting of the shade, with more coats necessary. More pigments, and you can get enough color to use it about like paint...

On this Start kit of the T-40, I sprayed the pigments on heavy and opaque for an even coverage.

On this Zvezda T-26, the clear flat had only a tiny bit of pigment and a lot of dry pigments were used on top of the initial tinting spray
DAVID NICKELS

January 30th, 2006, 9:42 pm #3

First off, Thank you for the reply. I will try your method.

A couple of more questions if you don't mind. I am very new to all this stuff.

Will your method work on a model that has been painted with Acrylic paint first? I am not sure about what types of paints and thinners can be used together, without messing up the finish.

Also, do you just clean you airbrush afterwards the same as you would with any other paints? So far, I have only sprayed Tamiya Acrylic Paint through my airbrush. Being a water color, it has been fairly simple to clean...so just wondering about how to clean with spraying other types through it?

Thanks again,

Darren Gilbert

January 31st, 2006, 2:11 pm #4

With airbrushing, you can spray laquer on top of acrylic as it will dry quickly. Spray it on thin anyway... Clean up with laquer thinner... it is really no different than cleaning up from any kind of paint. Actually I find acrylics to be the most difficult paints to clean up...
DAVID NICKELS

February 14th, 2006, 3:28 am #5

I use windex with ammonia when cleaning my acrylics. It works the best, you can actually see it pulling the paint off the insides of the airbrush, its gotta be the kind with ammonia though.