Spraying Gunze and Vallajo?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Spraying Gunze and Vallajo?

June 15th, 2006, 10:02 pm #1

I'd like some opions on spraying these paint any tips anh help would be great.I normally use Tamiya,but I'd like to start buildging some German WWII aircraft,but Tamiya doesn't have any RLM colors other than German grey,thanks for any help.

Another paint ?

June 15th, 2006, 10:10 pm #2

Are there any Tamiya acrylic paints that are Rlm equivilents,thanks.

June 15th, 2006, 10:45 pm #3

I'd like some opions on spraying these paint any tips anh help would be great.I normally use Tamiya,but I'd like to start buildging some German WWII aircraft,but Tamiya doesn't have any RLM colors other than German grey,thanks for any help.
Well first of all dont mix them together!! LOL

Gunze is alcohol based and thins best with Tamiya thinner, water or even alcohol! They don't seem to make their own thinner that I've seen anyway. It shoots as well as, maybe better than Tamiya. Nice and smooth, doesn't clog much, and atomizes very well.

Vallejo is water based and thins with water or Vallejo thinner. It is a little trickier to spray, the mix ratio needs to be on the thin side. But once you master it, look at all the colors! And it goes on baby's-butt smooth when done right. On the down side, Vallejo doesn't like bare plastic as well and may not adhere the best without a primer of some sort. At the least it is more prone to scratching because of its adherence properties. But most of the time it should be ok.

Oddly (and fortunately) enough, although both brands have different bases, clear Windex thins both beautifully. It's cheaper, can be used to clean the airbrush as well, and is my favorite thinner at this moment.

John

Thanks John

June 15th, 2006, 11:30 pm #4

Gunze has several thinners

June 16th, 2006, 12:50 am #5

Well first of all dont mix them together!! LOL

Gunze is alcohol based and thins best with Tamiya thinner, water or even alcohol! They don't seem to make their own thinner that I've seen anyway. It shoots as well as, maybe better than Tamiya. Nice and smooth, doesn't clog much, and atomizes very well.

Vallejo is water based and thins with water or Vallejo thinner. It is a little trickier to spray, the mix ratio needs to be on the thin side. But once you master it, look at all the colors! And it goes on baby's-butt smooth when done right. On the down side, Vallejo doesn't like bare plastic as well and may not adhere the best without a primer of some sort. At the least it is more prone to scratching because of its adherence properties. But most of the time it should be ok.

Oddly (and fortunately) enough, although both brands have different bases, clear Windex thins both beautifully. It's cheaper, can be used to clean the airbrush as well, and is my favorite thinner at this moment.

John
Oddly the Aqueous Hobby Color Thinner and Mr. Color thinner are both laquer thinner (same stuff, two bottles). Also, there is Gunze Mr. Self Levelling Thinner, which has Mr. Retarder added in.

I use the self levelling thinner or hardware store laquer thinner to cut my Gunze and Tamiya acrylics, and also to thin enamels. I will thin colors 30-50% thinner depending on the color and pattern im spraying.I Spray at approx 15 psi under load.
DAVID NICKELS

Thanks very much David...........

June 16th, 2006, 3:33 pm #6

airbrushing Vallejo's

June 20th, 2006, 8:25 pm #7

Just went through an experimentation phase with airbrushing Vallejo's myself a few weeks ago. I am new to Vallejo's paints, but an old hand at using my Tamiya SF airbrush.

I tried thinning the Vallejo's with:

1) distilled water - results: paint dried on the needle tip and caused me to clean it after every 2-3 sprays - this became a nuisance very quickly. Unsatisfactory.

2) rubbing alcohol - results: paint gummed up in the cup and required excessive attention to keep it from thickening up. Paint sprayed ok for a while, then became clogged as the chunks of paint were drawn into the tip. Required thorough cleaning after different color. Unsatisfactory.

3) ethanol - results: same as with rubbing alcohol. Unsatisfactory.

4) Tamiya X-20 - results: same as with rubbing alcohol. Unsatisfactory.

5) Windex - results: paint does not gum up or separate. Flow from airbrush was a little rough, was a little inconsistent. Mixed a very minute amount of Liquitex paint flow improver solution - now it is just fine. Occassional loading of paint drying on the needle causing an adjustment to clean the tip. Best solution I've foundyet : Acceptable results.

Hope this helps.

regards Randy Riley

Thinning Vallejo............

June 21st, 2006, 7:55 am #8

Randy,with respect you could alway's try thinning Vallejo paint's with Vallejo thinner.
Sorta' make's sense seeing as they were made for each other.
Regard's,Steve.

As Steve said...

July 9th, 2006, 7:14 am #9

Just went through an experimentation phase with airbrushing Vallejo's myself a few weeks ago. I am new to Vallejo's paints, but an old hand at using my Tamiya SF airbrush.

I tried thinning the Vallejo's with:

1) distilled water - results: paint dried on the needle tip and caused me to clean it after every 2-3 sprays - this became a nuisance very quickly. Unsatisfactory.

2) rubbing alcohol - results: paint gummed up in the cup and required excessive attention to keep it from thickening up. Paint sprayed ok for a while, then became clogged as the chunks of paint were drawn into the tip. Required thorough cleaning after different color. Unsatisfactory.

3) ethanol - results: same as with rubbing alcohol. Unsatisfactory.

4) Tamiya X-20 - results: same as with rubbing alcohol. Unsatisfactory.

5) Windex - results: paint does not gum up or separate. Flow from airbrush was a little rough, was a little inconsistent. Mixed a very minute amount of Liquitex paint flow improver solution - now it is just fine. Occassional loading of paint drying on the needle causing an adjustment to clean the tip. Best solution I've foundyet : Acceptable results.

Hope this helps.

regards Randy Riley
... I used Tamiya Colors before so I was used to mix the colors with alcohol.
This does not work with Vallejos at all. The only satisfying result, is using the Vallejo Thinner. Everything else is messing up the color structure.
I know, the thiner is a bit expensiv and the package size is small.

By the way, for cleaning the Airbrush, you'll need their airbrushcleaner to, esp. if you're using an Aztek.
Regards
Eric