Spare track armour on Chi-Ha hull front question.

Hosted by Yasu Mori, the Japanese Modelling discussion group covers questions to Japanese modellers, discussion of Japanese-themed modelling and the opportunity for Japanese modellers to discuss any aspects of AFV modelling in Japanese.

Spare track armour on Chi-Ha hull front question.

January 15th, 2011, 5:57 pm #1

Hi all!

I KNOW that I have seen in one of my references a picture of spare tracks attached to the hull front (upper side) as additional armour on a Type 97 Chi-Ha (possibly a Shinhoto). I can't find the photo any more.

Can anybody help, please?

And: how were these track links attached? Were they welded to the hull?

Thanks in advance, and cheers!

Peter

January 15th, 2011, 8:27 pm #2

From what I can tell, these were only found on Siapan tanks, although maybe Guam as well. I'm including them in my Type 97 build and will attach them using wire, but if anyone knows for sure how they were attached, please speak up!!

Cheers, Tracy

January 15th, 2011, 9:21 pm #3

Hi all!

I KNOW that I have seen in one of my references a picture of spare tracks attached to the hull front (upper side) as additional armour on a Type 97 Chi-Ha (possibly a Shinhoto). I can't find the photo any more.

Can anybody help, please?

And: how were these track links attached? Were they welded to the hull?

Thanks in advance, and cheers!

Peter
Here's a couple of examples from Saipan. Even zooming in on the photos doesn't show any detail how the tracks were attached.

January 15th, 2011, 9:40 pm #4

Thanks, Steve!

Those are great photos. What would your "educated guess" be concerning the attachment?

By the way, great to see you in the Japanese Modelling forum more often lately.

Cheers,
Peter

January 15th, 2011, 10:21 pm #5

From what I can tell, these were only found on Siapan tanks, although maybe Guam as well. I'm including them in my Type 97 build and will attach them using wire, but if anyone knows for sure how they were attached, please speak up!!

Cheers, Tracy
n/t

January 15th, 2011, 10:31 pm #6

Here's a couple of examples from Saipan. Even zooming in on the photos doesn't show any detail how the tracks were attached.

in these it is clear to see that these are two separate lengths, not one run. Neither these, or any others that I have seen, show the tracks laid perfectly on the hull front, so I've always assumed that they were secured with wire somehow. In looking at these, I wonder if, at least in the center, the lengths were joined by wire around the headlight assembly and, perhaps, in a similar way on the outer ends?

I'd love more thoughts on this, as I am close to completing the assembly of my Siapan Type 97 and I'd hate to find out more after it's finished.

Cheers, Tracy

January 16th, 2011, 3:23 pm #7

Thanks, Steve!

Those are great photos. What would your "educated guess" be concerning the attachment?

By the way, great to see you in the Japanese Modelling forum more often lately.

Cheers,
Peter
I have no idea about how they were attached, but the idea that the two sets were joined by wire that caught the front headlight certainly seems plausible since the track length seems long enough to also catch on the fenders.

I've been on this DG more often lately as I've been building more Fine Molds stuff (a Type 3 Ho-Ni and now a Type 89). Also I've been doing more research on Japanese subjects for various book projects, including my recent Osprey Fortress on Defense of Japan 1945, a forthcoming Osprey New Vanguard on Kamikaze weapons (mostly aircraft and naval stuff), and an upcoming book project involving the Japanese 2nd Armroed Division on Luzon.

January 16th, 2011, 3:59 pm #8

Steve,

I agree that the wire theory seems plausible. But in the meantime I found the photo I had originally seen, it depicts a Type 97 Shinhoto from 14th Tank Regiment near Imphal (Burma).

As you see, this tank has just two short lengths of track attached, and there's no trace of wires.

The photo is in Ground Power #183 from August 2009 (the one with the Pacific War Japanese tank photos from Taki's collection), on page 57.

Your Japanese projects sound promising, please keep us updated.

Thanks and cheers,

Peter

January 21st, 2011, 12:38 am #9

in these it is clear to see that these are two separate lengths, not one run. Neither these, or any others that I have seen, show the tracks laid perfectly on the hull front, so I've always assumed that they were secured with wire somehow. In looking at these, I wonder if, at least in the center, the lengths were joined by wire around the headlight assembly and, perhaps, in a similar way on the outer ends?

I'd love more thoughts on this, as I am close to completing the assembly of my Siapan Type 97 and I'd hate to find out more after it's finished.

Cheers, Tracy
I just spoke to a JGSDF mechanic who helped on the Type 89 restoration. After seeing this photo he believes the links were spot welded to the hull. At least he says that is the way he would approach the problem. He thought that if they were attached by even the heaviest wire the weight of the links would have shaken loose after only a short time on the road.

Interesting thread.

Pat

January 24th, 2011, 12:45 pm #10

That sounds reasonable to me.

Thanks for talking to the guy about this, and cheers,

Peter