Spare roadwheels on M1 Abrams turret sides - how attached?

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Spare roadwheels on M1 Abrams turret sides - how attached?

July 30th, 2017, 1:15 pm #1

Title says it all - how are spare roadwheels attached to the side stowage rails of an M1?

I can see a couple of bolt heads in the top two bolt holes of the hanging wheel in various photos but I'm unsure what they attach to (a field mod or a factory issue bracket?).

Something in the back of my mind makes me think that a pair of track teeth were used as brackets(but I may be imagining that).

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
John

July 30th, 2017, 2:54 pm #2

Take a spare center guide that is designed to connect two track links and use one portion to attach to the grunt rail (what we call the bars on the side of the tank). Here is a road wheel and support roller being held on my M60A3 with a center guide. Different vehicle, but the exact same concept.
RobG

July 30th, 2017, 6:04 pm #3

Title says it all - how are spare roadwheels attached to the side stowage rails of an M1?

I can see a couple of bolt heads in the top two bolt holes of the hanging wheel in various photos but I'm unsure what they attach to (a field mod or a factory issue bracket?).

Something in the back of my mind makes me think that a pair of track teeth were used as brackets(but I may be imagining that).

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
John
Here it is on a M1.

July 30th, 2017, 6:40 pm #4

Last edited by Henri-Pierre Mas on July 30th, 2017, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 30th, 2017, 8:21 pm #5

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
John
Thanks guys - so my brain wasn't malfunctioning after all (I meant the centre guides rather than track teeth)!

Good to have some detailed confirmation - much appreciated.

Regards,
John