Someone was asking about MO haltracks some time ago...

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Someone was asking about MO haltracks some time ago...

May 16th, 2012, 2:33 am #1

These are from "21 Army Group AFV Techncal Report, No. 10, Appx A, Photos" Not great quality but may be useful

Sam Wren
Abilene, TX

"My cat may be able to telepathically control my mind, but he will never be able to play the piano." - unknown

May 16th, 2012, 12:08 pm #2

Very interesting pictures! Note that these are converted M14 MGMC half-tracks (twin gun M33 turret mounted on M5 International Harvester Half track).

Roy Chow
AMPS President
http://www.amps-armor.org
Roy Chow
Join AMPS!

May 16th, 2012, 6:30 pm #3

These are from "21 Army Group AFV Techncal Report, No. 10, Appx A, Photos" Not great quality but may be useful

Sam Wren
Abilene, TX

"My cat may be able to telepathically control my mind, but he will never be able to play the piano." - unknown
Any ideas Sam? Anyone else?

Roy Chow
AMPS President
Roy Chow
Join AMPS!

May 16th, 2012, 7:17 pm #4

Sam Wren
Abilene, TX

This is fantastic stuff - do you have the text of the report? These technical reports are rare in that they deal with half-tracks in British and Commonwealth use - they were not officially classed as AFVs so decent reports, reviews and comments are few.

Where did you find them? Bovington has a few later ones and I have yet to find them at Kew. Report no.16 and no.19 refer to the driving position requiring the driver to crouch when the armoured plate is down. No.26 reports on use as Artillery Gun Position Officer's vehicles and as 17pdr gun towers.

I don't have these photographed but am happy to quote text if anyone is interested.

Cheers
Keith

May 16th, 2012, 7:36 pm #5

Roy Chow
AMPS President
Should mean: if Infantry Div. the Armoured Recce Regt., if Armoured Div. the senior (of two) Field Sqn. CRE. Given the background vehicles I would opt for the former - can anyone see a two tone ground to the AoS?

This gives options of: 1 Cdn. Inf Div. 4th Recce Regt (4Princess Louis Dragoon Gds.), 2nd Cdn. Inf. Div. 8th Recce Regt (14th Cdn. Hussars), 3rd Cdn. Inf. Div. 7th Recce. Regt. (17th Duke of York's Royal Cdn. Hussars). If RE it should be 1st or 8th Field Squadron, CRE

Keith

May 16th, 2012, 7:36 pm #6

Roy Chow
AMPS President
"41" is the Tac sign for the recce regiment in an infantry division so the three choices are:

1 Cdn Inf Div - 4th Princess Louise's Dragoon Guards

2 Cdn Inf Div - 14th Canadian Hussars

3 Cdn Inf Div - Duke of York's Royal Canadian Hussars

So which one it is depends upon where & when the photo was taken. If it was in Italy, which I'm leaning towards due to the slightly out of date equipment (or early date of photo) evidenced by the Fox armoured car & the No 12 cab CMP in the background, then it would be from the Plugs (4th PLDG) as 1 Cdn Inf Div were the only Cdn Inf div in combat at the time. If it's from later or NW Europe, then all bets are off and you need more info to be sure.

HTH

Paul

Paul Roberts

Join AMPS!
www.amps-armor.org

May 17th, 2012, 1:14 am #7

Roy Chow
AMPS President
"A spanking! A spanking" as Dingo and her cohorts cried in the Castle Anthrax.

Most of these reports are devoid of any unit ID and locational information, usually intentionally hiding unit IDs by referring to "x" or "y" unit, but this, one , being preoperational, has more useful information which I unintentionally left out:

Sam Wren
Abilene, TX

May 17th, 2012, 1:21 am #8

This is fantastic stuff - do you have the text of the report? These technical reports are rare in that they deal with half-tracks in British and Commonwealth use - they were not officially classed as AFVs so decent reports, reviews and comments are few.

Where did you find them? Bovington has a few later ones and I have yet to find them at Kew. Report no.16 and no.19 refer to the driving position requiring the driver to crouch when the armoured plate is down. No.26 reports on use as Artillery Gun Position Officer's vehicles and as 17pdr gun towers.

I don't have these photographed but am happy to quote text if anyone is interested.

Cheers
Keith
I copied these at NARA II outside of Washington DC. They are copies that were given to the U.S. Military Attaché in London and have been filed in the same series as the U.S. Technical Intelligence reports. Some appear to be incomplete.

One of the reports even included the negatives of the photographs included in the report, but they are all stapled shut in an envelope but I, not wanting my residence being moved to Guantanamo Bay, left it alone.

Sam Wren
Abilene, TX