Some work on my MarkI

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

Some work on my MarkI

November 24th, 2005, 1:59 pm #1

Hi guys!
After some delay, I'm back on my markI upon the problematic Ehmar's kit.
Sponsons, roof and tail are now finished (except for some things I will add after paint like the light on the hull front)and I now concentrate on the hydraulic system using to operate the tail. Not so easy, cause there is not a lot of doc! By the way, I hope I've done something logical!
More pics on constructive comments forum.
All pic are mine.
Any comments are welcome
[/img]
Not finished yet but :
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
A+
Regards
Gilles

November 24th, 2005, 2:18 pm #2

Looks great!
What tracks did you use? model cellar?
Ncie work, what about the wheels? is that from the emhar feldkanone?

Great so far

November 24th, 2005, 3:10 pm #3

Hi guys!
Sponsons, roof and tail are now finished (except for some things I will add after paint like the light on the hull front)and I now concentrate on the hydraulic system using to operate the tail. Not so easy, cause there is not a lot of doc! By the way, I hope I've done something logical!
All pic are mine.
Any comments are welcome
[/img]
Not finished yet but :
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
A+
Regards
Gilles
Your plumbing looks good - ther are pics from teh original plans in Tanks at Flers.

Lovely piece of scrtachbuilding.

Watch your track tensioning gear - the model shows the extended version for Mks II onwards - if you have alook at the drawings in Tranks at Flers and photos of Mk Is you'll see that instead of being "square" ended the fitting os round ended, and a bit shorter.

Given that she is C company, which tank are you doing?

Mike Cooper

November 24th, 2005, 3:19 pm #4

Hi guys!
All pic are mine.
Any comments are welcome
[/img]
Not finished yet but :
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
A+
Regards
Gilles
As Mike says the tensioner is different on Mk1, it is also open-backed without the hollowed casting behind it, as shown here on Bovingdons "vandalised" sole surviving Mk1.

Very nice work on the model so far by the way..

November 24th, 2005, 3:22 pm #5

November 24th, 2005, 4:46 pm #6

Hi guys!
All pic are mine.
Any comments are welcome
[/img]
Not finished yet but :
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
A+
Regards
Gilles
I was sure you will notice!!!
You're all right! I hav'nt corrected the track tensioner holes... The point is I notice the problem AFTER the whole hull was cemented : a very easy improvement become now very hard to fix, especially inside the horns!
Well, I will try to do something, at least in removing the lap aroud all around.
Regarding the tracks, I choose the resin Accurate Armour set for this time. Look far better than the Ehmar's one, with correct dimensions, but the model shop one's are OK.
I never find the plastic links
The wheels are home made with plastic cart, an long but easy job!
The tank will be I think either C15 or C19 cause I cannot find pics from the other males tanks in the C co
Thanks for your answers!
Gilles

November 25th, 2005, 5:46 am #7

Hi guys!
All pic are mine.
Any comments are welcome
[/img]
Not finished yet but :
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
A+
Regards
Gilles
Congratulations - excellent work on a subject where good photo references don't abound. I'm scratch-building an anti-grenade roof for the 1:15 Firing Line Mk.I, and can hopefully offer a few helpful comments: 1) the wire mesh seems to extend beyond the wooden frames in some original photos, as if there was no time to trim the mesh after construction. 2) The frame is supported by the cab and by four struts bolted to the roof, at the second and fourth trusses. The trusses are attached to the struts by what appear to be U-bolts - Tank Museum photo 80/A5 attached below, while not great, is the best image I've found of this detail.

November 25th, 2005, 2:47 pm #8

Sorry if I'm wrong, but isn't the tank at Bovington actually a Mark II?

Cheers,
/Jochen.

November 25th, 2005, 5:16 pm #9

Congratulations - excellent work on a subject where good photo references don't abound. I'm scratch-building an anti-grenade roof for the 1:15 Firing Line Mk.I, and can hopefully offer a few helpful comments: 1) the wire mesh seems to extend beyond the wooden frames in some original photos, as if there was no time to trim the mesh after construction. 2) The frame is supported by the cab and by four struts bolted to the roof, at the second and fourth trusses. The trusses are attached to the struts by what appear to be U-bolts - Tank Museum photo 80/A5 attached below, while not great, is the best image I've found of this detail.

Thank for your tips!
Right now I'm correcting the tracks tensioners, if not to perfect, just to give a better look.
Regarding the wire on the roof, you sould be right. My own building is fitted with the four arms and I add a rear one. Looking at the pics I thought it was there, but I'm not very sure now. Well, I maybe rebuilt the whole thing cause I'M afraid the struture looks too heavy...
Well, today I've eventualy finished those Bloo... spring. I'll make some pics tomorrow!
Regards
Gilles

November 28th, 2005, 1:43 pm #10

Sorry if I'm wrong, but isn't the tank at Bovington actually a Mark II?

Cheers,
/Jochen.
Its a Mk I all right - they have a Mk II (785) that spend a long time pretending to be a Mk I, but thi sone is a genuine Mk I.

I make her the oldest extant tank to have seen action. 785 saw action before, but was built after.

Mike Cooper