Some Questions About Tamiya's British Matilda (new kit ) !

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Some Questions About Tamiya's British Matilda (new kit ) !

May 15th, 2012, 6:49 pm #1

Hi Guys ,

I have a few questions about Tamiya's British Matilda (new kit )# 35300

I seem to remember reading that you could not build it OOB and be accurate

(1) what is wrong with the kit ?

(2) Is it a combination of different marks ?

(3) If so what needs to be done to correctly depict the kit makings (especially the one named Defiance)?

Thanks
JOEY

May 16th, 2012, 12:18 am #2

Hi there Joey, hope all is going well

Am busy at work at the moment, so only have time to give you my modelling "recipe" for "Defiance" for now

Hope this helps

Best regards

Mike
(Canberra, Australia)

Modelling "Defiance" 4 RTR (Middle East 1941) T.6849

IWM photos E6804 & E6917. Vehicle manufactured by Vulcan under contract T5115 covering War Department numbers T.6729 - T.6868, manufactured between 29 September 1939 and 2 May 1941; includes 85 tanks manufactured to Mk IIA* standard (T.6784 - T.6868)

Turret
- Early tapered 2pdr barrel (kit part D12, TMD AR-0218, Lionmarc LM50005 etc)
- High cupola
- Single-blade sight
- No.11 wireless set aerial base (consider TMD AR-0221 Matilda General Detail set for a much finer rendition of this aerial mount)
- Square unreinforced pistol port (kit part D58)
- no Bren ammo drum bins

Hull
- Blackout lights & guards fitted (kit parts D27 to D30, A1)
- Spare tracklinks fitted in trackguard brackets on front mudguards
- Rectangular welded appliqué below drivers lookout block (likely) (TMD AR-0214 "Early w/ block applique" nose casting)
- Slotted tool bin covers, plated over (likely) (do it yourself, or TMD AR-0207 or AR-0208)
- Early-pattern circular lifting ring mounts (riveted) (TMD AR-0211 Storage Locker Armor w/ Square Plates)
- Rear POL tin carrier (TMD, MR Models)
- Nose squares(likely) (also in TMD AR-0211 Storage Locker Armor w/ Square Plates)
- Reinforced internally-hinged sideskirt hatches (per Tamiya kit)
- Spare aerial brackets on right side of hull (fit kit part D23)
- fill the mounting holes for the long-range fuel tank on the rear upper hull. This tank was not fitted
- remove the "riser plate" from kit lift ring mounting plates D9 and D10. These should look the same as kit front lift ring mounting plates C24
Last edited by mikegrieve on May 17th, 2012, 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 16th, 2012, 12:25 am #3

Hi Guys ,

(3) If so what needs to be done to correctly depict the kit makings (especially the one named Defiance)?

Thanks
JOEY
Joey,
The Tamiya kit is a mix of marks III and IV. I only know of one photo of "Defiance" and it's on the Imperial War Museum site on page 12. It is E6804. Use the Collections Search and type in "Matilda Tank" It's taken from the right hand side. Tamiya gives the wrong colors for the Caunter scheme and the wrong WD number for the tank. It should be T 6849 and should also have a small number for on the turret right side. I don't know if they repeated it on the left side or not but I would assume so. Here is a old thread that should also help.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/th ... cis+-+help!
There is also a great article in Military Modelling Aug. 2009 by Steve Zaloga. It shows all the modifications he did to make an early tank from the "Crusader" battle.
Here is a link to Mike Starmer's paint mixes.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/th ... x+Database!
You'll need to use either Lt. Stone 61 or Portland Stone 64, Slate and Silver-Grey.

Jim Guld
Cheers
Jim Guld

May 16th, 2012, 6:35 am #4

Hi Guys ,

Thanks
JOEY
Hi Joey.

Here is my build log for Mark IIA* cica 1942. Nice kit, I enjoyed building it. Almost straight out of the box.

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n296 ... 20Matilda/

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Hope this helps, Michael in Cloverdale.
Last edited by MichaelHatch on June 16th, 2012, 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 16th, 2012, 6:19 pm #5

Hi Guys ,

Thanks
JOEY
Thanks for all the info & links guys !!! Looks like i've got some work to do !!!!

best regards
JOEY