Some Questions About AFV Club's Churchill MK IV Gun Tank !

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Some Questions About AFV Club's Churchill MK IV Gun Tank !

July 16th, 2012, 7:46 am #1

Hi Guys ,

I just recently picked up a copy of AFV Club's Churchill MK IV Gun Tank # AF35154 and have

a few questions as i know very little about British armor & even less about Churchills !

I have read in various review that the kits includes the early version of the cast turret but the

later longer gun !

(1) Are the parts in the box to build it as a later MK IV so the gun barrel is more applicable ?

(2) If so what changes or parts need to be swapped out ?

(3) Are the marking options in the kit applicable for a later MK IV or just the early ?

Thanks for any help in this matter .

regards
JOEY

July 16th, 2012, 9:17 am #2

Hi Joey,
Terry's done a review over on PMMS which should give you at least some answers.
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/r ... 35154.html

July 16th, 2012, 9:29 am #3

Hi Guys ,

I just recently picked up a copy of AFV Club's Churchill MK IV Gun Tank # AF35154 and have

a few questions as i know very little about British armor & even less about Churchills !

I have read in various review that the kits includes the early version of the cast turret but the

later longer gun !

(1) Are the parts in the box to build it as a later MK IV so the gun barrel is more applicable ?

(2) If so what changes or parts need to be swapped out ?

(3) Are the marking options in the kit applicable for a later MK IV or just the early ?

Thanks for any help in this matter .

regards
JOEY
PMMS does give some of the answ%rs, but here are some just in case...

you can get mid or late MkIV turrets from Lionmarc or Inside the Armour

You can covert the turret with some scratchbuilding/ conversion skills yourself. Good info can be found at www.armourinfocus.co.uk (look under articles)

If you want to make it an early MkIV and go with the kit turret; you can get replacement shorter 6pdr barrels from Lionmarc and AFV Club I believe. The parts are in the box to make an early 4. Use the shorter periscopes on sprue E rather than the tall ones called for in the instructions. Double check which boxes you want on the rear plate as SALOME only had one and its in a different location to the one on the instructions (from memory it had the first aid box but not the infantry telephone).

You might be abe to get away with doing BANDIT out of the box. The only pictures I have ever found of Bandit and the other tanks in her troop are on the IWM collections site. It is impossible to tell from the pictures which cuppola, periscopes and turret BANDIT has. However, BANDIT does have a number of unique features so if you want to do BANDIT careful study of the pictures will help

Like all their churchills, the MkIV kit is a real beauty. I've built around 10 AFV Club Churchills now and have a fair few more in the stash. However if you are building a specific tank it pays to research it well. The Churchill was so widely manufactured, and seen in so many permutations of features (due to changes during production and upgrades and rebuilds of tanks in the field with new parts) that no kit could cover all the options, but AFV club have done the best possible job of bringing us these tanks in kit form in my opinion

Inside the

July 16th, 2012, 12:00 pm #4

I just looked at the picture I have of BANDIT again and I noticed, under the sherman track welded to the turret, that it has the reinforcing 'U' shaped bracket on the right side of the turret race, the presence of which indicates a later turret type so you can't build BANDIT out of the box

July 16th, 2012, 6:01 pm #5

Hi Joey,
Terry's done a review over on PMMS which should give you at least some answers.
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/r ... 35154.html

July 16th, 2012, 6:04 pm #6

I just looked at the picture I have of BANDIT again and I noticed, under the sherman track welded to the turret, that it has the reinforcing 'U' shaped bracket on the right side of the turret race, the presence of which indicates a later turret type so you can't build BANDIT out of the box
Correct me if i wrong , but to do a early all i need is the

(1) RB shorter barrel !

(2) Are any of the kit marking options correct for a early MK IV ?

Thanks
JOEY

July 17th, 2012, 2:13 am #7

Hi Joey, that sure is a lot of exclaimation marks...

Yes there is an Early MkIV option in the kit: SALOME

To do SALOME you will need the very early 6pdr barrel without the counterweight that AFV Club provide in their MkIII kit. it Looks like other than scrounging one from a MkIII kit where someone converted it and didn't need it, your best bet is a Aber barrel 35-L001

EAGLE I could only find one picture of, and its from the rear, but it is in Germany. SALOME was manufactured some time before the British army went to Normandy and a lot changed in between. Its a good bet EAGLE is a late 4, but as the picture is from the rear and she is festooned with kit its hard to tell

BANDIT is a late MkIV

MINOTAUR is a museum example and as such could be all original, or could be cobbled together from several tanks (for instance; the newly restored 'MkIV' seen at Bovington Tank Fest this year and last is a mish mash of a MkI or II hull from an Ark, MkIV turret and MkVII parts such as the air intakes)

Those are the kit options, so I'm afraid if you want it to be acurate you have some research of your own to do and likely some AM to buy at some point, although compared to many builds, not a lot

Chris
Inside the Armour

July 17th, 2012, 6:27 am #8

July 17th, 2012, 3:33 pm #9

Where are you Joey? I've got 3 spare barrels from AFV Club MkIII kits thanks to converting a few with Inside The Armour kits...

July 17th, 2012, 5:07 pm #10

Hi Ken ,

Thanks for the offer on the barrel .

I am located in North Carolina , USA !!!

Shoot me a e-mail & we'll work out he particulars !!!

My e-mail is dukwhunter@aol.com

Thanks
JOEY