Some progress shots on Takom's King Tiger....

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Some progress shots on Takom's King Tiger....

March 20th, 2017, 4:21 pm #1

Some shots of Tacom's Porsche turret king tiger interior as a break from my aircraft modeling. Everything out of the box. I took some liberties with the interior colors and ammo colors to break up the monotonous cremeweiss and rotbraun. These days I build more for the fun of the build than the accuracy of the final product. Heresy I know but there it is! Notice among other things I installed the elevation parts upside down. Fun changing this after everything was put together! (NOT). Great kit but follow the sequence of assembly laid out in the instructions. I got cute and ahead of myself and paid later taking things apart to install something before or after it was supposed to be installed. As always, amazing work here you people are an inspiration.
Best Regards, Ron

Last edited by orvis47 on March 21st, 2017, 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 20th, 2017, 4:58 pm #2

what colors did you use for the shells
Thank you.
Cesare
http://cecetotoy.blogspot.it/

March 20th, 2017, 5:35 pm #3

Some shots of Tacom's Porsche turret king tiger interior as a break from my aircraft modeling. Everything out of the box. I took some liberties with the interior colors and ammo colors to break up the monotonous cremeweiss and rotbraun. These days I build more for the fun of the build than the accuracy of the final product. Heresy I know but there it is! Notice among other things I installed the elevation parts upside down. Fun changing this after everything was put together! (NOT). Great kit but follow the sequence of assembly laid out in the instructions. I got cute and ahead of myself and paid later taking things apart to install something before or after it was supposed to be installed. As always, amazing work here you people are an inspiration.
Best Regards, Ron

Great looking interior and a fine paint job to match. People complain about the ammo and brackets coming as one part. but i think it makes it easier to paint.
Thanks for posting.

Dave.

March 21st, 2017, 3:05 am #4

what colors did you use for the shells
Thank you.
Cesare
http://cecetotoy.blogspot.it/
The grey cases are a mixture of AK "grey base", "polished metal" and Vallejo's "London grey". The greenish grey cases are AKs "Olive green opt 2", "Bright Green" and "Cremweiss". The brass is Humbrol's Brass. I looked on the internet and found these three colors for the cases and tried to match as close as I could. On AFV modeler I found an article by Liejon Schoot, I believe, the steel cases were sintered these colors, other than the brass cases, and some pictures.

Best Regards, Ron
Last edited by orvis47 on March 21st, 2017, 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 21st, 2017, 3:15 am #5

Great looking interior and a fine paint job to match. People complain about the ammo and brackets coming as one part. but i think it makes it easier to paint.
Thanks for posting.

Dave.
Agreed. Only thing I would do differently is to spray the whole lot Cremweiss first and hand paint the ammo. I hand painted both and had to resort to an old jar of Floquil Military Colors' Cremweiss (Panzer interior buff) because the AK without a primer kept beading up on the plastic. I guess the complaint I have is that the decal stenciling on the cases is pretty useless on most of the ammo because the brackets interfere.
Thanks for your kind comment!
Ron

March 29th, 2017, 9:40 pm #6

Best Regards, Ron

/

March 31st, 2017, 4:12 pm #7

Weathering. Scary! You folks here set a very high, almost astronomical standard. Reading books and purchased some new AK and Vallejo weathering products so we'll see. Problem when you are building aircraft, science fiction stuff, armor. By the time you get around to building a model in one of those categories you forget what you learned the last time! LOL Don't want to weather too much. Not a big fan of the rusted, bent and broken school regardless if it is accurate.
Thanks for that very kind comment, Ron