Solution for stripping Enamels

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Solution for stripping Enamels

November 27th, 2011, 6:36 pm #1

Hi all, I recently finished my latest build and decided to try (for the first time) airbrushing it with Testors enamels. Unfortunately I wasn't happy with the finish and as I didn't want to bin the kit I tried a number of suggestions from the web to try and strip it, but sadly none seemed to work.

I then remembered reading somewhere that degreasers seem to work and being a keen cyclist I tried spraying the kit with chain degreaser. I then sealed the kit it in a bag, left it for about an hour and presto the paint bubbled up and washed off- just thought I'd pass the tip on.

November 29th, 2011, 12:56 am #2

I have had excellent luck with Super Clean, Purple Power and Simple Green Concentrate. Simple Green used full strength took off three layers of thick brushed on Testors and Pactra paints from the 70s on a model I was restoring.
DAVID NICKELS

November 29th, 2011, 5:23 pm #3

Thanks for your reply.

As I live in the UK it seems a lot of products mentioned on the web sadly aren't available here. I did try and find some of the Castrol and purple power stuff after I'd read good reviews for them but I couldn't find any UK stockists.

Maybe someone on here knows of a source in the UK for any of the items you mentioned?

November 29th, 2011, 6:22 pm #4

You can get those degreasers at auto parts stores, places like Wal Mart, and some brands at places like Lowes or Home Depot. Not sure if you would find them in a UK DIY shop or not.

Oven cleaner will also strip enamel but will also dissolve photo etch and may hurt resin.
DAVID NICKELS

December 28th, 2011, 12:05 pm #5

I use Mr Musculo oven degreaser (found in Balkan countries. It strips enamel paints, but be careful, it also strips off superglue used for resin gluing. Watch for parts.
Also, it tends to destroy metal barrels- some chemical stuff happens and it destroys the barrel! Remove them prior removing enamels
Last edited by MarkoH5N on December 28th, 2011, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.