Soldering photo etch

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Soldering photo etch

April 23rd, 2012, 8:27 pm #1

What type of flux and solder is recommended for soldering photo etch?
Last edited by joeddogg on April 23rd, 2012, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 23rd, 2012, 8:57 pm #2

I use Tix solder:
http://www.micromark.com/tix-solder-pkg ... ,6707.html

best regards,

Marc Brandes

Replace dod in email address

April 24th, 2012, 2:11 am #3

up for Tix solder and a light paste flux applied judiciously. I salami slice very small pieces of solder and place evenly along seams to be soldered. Works well for me. very important to babe both mating surfaces very clean though-I use a soft-ish brass wire brush-regards bobC

April 25th, 2012, 9:53 pm #4

What type of flux and solder is recommended for soldering photo etch?
The most important thing is to stay away from acid core solder and acid flux. It is almost impossible to remove traces of the acid and it will eventually eat up what you have assembled. Go to your local Radio Shack and get Rosin Flux and Rosin Core Solder. You can also get the same type of flux in a liquid form usually from the DIY stores. Both the liquid and the paste are zinc-chloride. Excess paste can be removed with some type of solvent such as mineral spirits and the liquid flux can be remove with warm water. Hope this helps. Tim Treadway