So what do you guys wear, when you're modelling / painting?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

So what do you guys wear, when you're modelling / painting?

Trevor Aldred
Trevor Aldred

August 23rd, 2004, 6:46 pm #1

I was just (brush) painting a few wheels on my latest masterpiece, when 'plink!', one of the wheels goes flying out of my hand and hits me in the middle of the chest. It leaves a neat black (tyre grey) blob in the middle of my favorite white Tee-shirt - oh no!!

Huge panic, as I tear my shirt off and dab it with turps, white spirit, in fact anything I can find. Of course the wife thinks I've finally snapped - but eventually gives me that 'I've told you about that before look'.

I've lost count of the number of blobs i've scored on my clothes - what can I do?

Cheers

Trevor

Johan Detruyer
Johan Detruyer

August 23rd, 2004, 7:22 pm #2

I once spilt a complete jar of silver paint on my jeans when I was younger...
However, I have not learnt my lessons. But, I never had the problem again, perhaps shear luck....

I know the look of the wife, it's really humiliating...

J

Greg H
Greg H

August 23rd, 2004, 8:47 pm #3

I was just (brush) painting a few wheels on my latest masterpiece, when 'plink!', one of the wheels goes flying out of my hand and hits me in the middle of the chest. It leaves a neat black (tyre grey) blob in the middle of my favorite white Tee-shirt - oh no!!

Huge panic, as I tear my shirt off and dab it with turps, white spirit, in fact anything I can find. Of course the wife thinks I've finally snapped - but eventually gives me that 'I've told you about that before look'.

I've lost count of the number of blobs i've scored on my clothes - what can I do?

Cheers

Trevor
I have a few grey t-shirts that I've had forever...
I once spilled "Kandy Scarlett" (I also build public safety vehicles) on my favorite jean shorts...Household-6 got it out of the carpet, but NOT the shorts!

hth,
Greg Harting

August 23rd, 2004, 9:44 pm #4

Cheers

Trevor
I saw an ad somewhere for this -an apron that has press studs or velcro on the bottom that you attach to the work bench. Then when small parts go ping out of your hand they land on the apron and don't get eaten by carpet gnomes. I haven't tried it - I'd feel silly

-Pat

Gary Cunningham
Gary Cunningham

August 24th, 2004, 1:15 am #5

Cheers

Trevor
After a spill (or 35) I wear my 'old grubby clothes'. If you ever spill a full bottle of super glue on your pants TAKE THEM OFF QUICKLY!! When it sets it tends to generate a lot of heat. Not that I did anything like that myself.

Ken Neil
Ken Neil

August 24th, 2004, 3:58 am #6

Cheers

Trevor
seriously, an old white lab coat over my grubbies (tee shirt and jeans. (Mod please don't delete)

Bruce Goff
Bruce Goff

August 24th, 2004, 4:48 am #7

Cheers

Trevor
Strangely enough I build mostly allied subjects.
I love this coat, and wear it around home alot, nice thing about the dappled camo, it does'nt matter what you spill on it, you'd never see it anyway.
BG

Robert Lockie
Robert Lockie

August 24th, 2004, 10:00 am #8

I saw an ad somewhere for this -an apron that has press studs or velcro on the bottom that you attach to the work bench. Then when small parts go ping out of your hand they land on the apron and don't get eaten by carpet gnomes. I haven't tried it - I'd feel silly

-Pat
Not half as silly as you feel if you jump up to answer the telephone when clamped to your modelling table.

Thorsten Wieking
Thorsten Wieking

August 24th, 2004, 10:34 am #9

Cheers

Trevor
I spilled enamel paint over my favorite red T-Shirt and jeans. When the paint finally got out of the shirt, it was more pink then red. That was the day I started to buy Tamiya acrylic paints.

Cheers
Thorsten

Trevor Aldred
Trevor Aldred

August 24th, 2004, 8:12 pm #10

Cheers

Trevor
I guess the best thing is to do it nude! - but with some protection for the nether regions!!