Snow...

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Snow...

PFC Richard Agers
PFC Richard Agers

June 15th, 2003, 9:22 pm #1

I've gone through these postings many times before, and countless times I've seen modellers constantly asking each other for the best ways to create snow (presumably for dioramas and figure bases.) I don't know if anyone else has seen this or would in fact agree with me, but one thing I have found works well with larger scale figures (and perhaps smaller scales as well), is ordinary laundry detergent. Use a handful of Tide Quick Dissolving detergent (with no perfumes to make your figure smell nice), grind it through your fingers a bit to make the particles smaller, and it actually looks pretty good. Oh well, that's all, just thought I'd put that out there, and see what others thought. Thanks!

Richard

Jakko Westerbeke
Jakko Westerbeke

June 16th, 2003, 10:44 am #2

Although it sounds like a good way to make sparkling snow, I'm wondering if moisture in the air won't dissolve the snow after a while.

PFC Richard Agers
PFC Richard Agers

June 16th, 2003, 10:25 pm #3

in you more humid parts of the world it might not work so well, but i teid it when i lived in east texas (near 100% humidity all the time) it never really did anything. on your larger settings, placing it in disply with a case would also help. it doesn't sparkle at all, it just looks like white powder. not arguing, just sayign what's worked for me in the past.

Richard