Snow products

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Snow products

April 23rd, 2012, 8:54 pm #1

I know there are diorama products that can be used to represent snow, but I've never had an occasion to use them in the past.

What's out there and where (in the UK preferably) is it possible to purchase it?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
John

April 24th, 2012, 12:48 am #2

I like to use Woodland Scenics Snow. It is made of very fine, granular, micro-balloons of styrene. It makes very good, dry, blowing snow. All you do is wet the surface with something to affix it with; like pump hairspray or thinned white glue, then shake it over the subject, repeat until it is as thick as you want. You can also mix it with thick white glue and some brown acrylic paint to make thicker, frozen snow or slush.

Here is how it turns out.

Not sure where/if you can get it in the UK, but you should be able to anywhere that carries scenic train products.

Gino P. Quintiliani

Field Artillery --- The KING of BATTLE!!!

HeavyArty's Showcase

Last edited by Gino P. Quintiliani on April 24th, 2012, 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Field Artillery --- The KING of BATTLE!!!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

April 24th, 2012, 5:02 pm #3

My local Hobbycraft stocks Woodland Scenics stuff - never thought to look there

Regards,
John

April 25th, 2012, 9:05 pm #4

I know there are diorama products that can be used to represent snow, but I've never had an occasion to use them in the past.

What's out there and where (in the UK preferably) is it possible to purchase it?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
John
Model Mecca in Albion St, Wall Heath, Stourbridge have loads of scenic material, MiniNatur, plastic sheet, Evergreen and railway materials, and snow stuff. Good shop. Not Suns or Mons.

Penn Models on Wolverhampton Rd, Penn nearby, have various paints, wide variety of glues, balsa. Some kits.

Sanda Games in Donnington, Telford opp MOD depot have loads of paints, some scenic and some plastic kits.

Questing Knight at Bus Station in Wellington do various stuff, and Army painter stuff like MiniNatur grass effects.

Spartan trophies in Bridgnorth do kits and paints.

Railway shop in Kiddeminster on hill, road not known. Maybe Bromsgrove Road. Not yet gone there.

Cheers
Andrew
In Neport, Shrops.

April 26th, 2012, 10:25 pm #5

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
John
Available herehttp://www.gaugemaster.com/search_resul ... s&strType=

July 25th, 2012, 6:21 pm #6

The latest (in the US) issue of Militry Modeller has a couple of articles, specifically written about using their products. It's the issue with the Hetzer on the cover. HTH!

Michael