slinging mud? ( how can i get a look of mud on my models)

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

slinging mud? ( how can i get a look of mud on my models)

August 7th, 2003, 12:43 am #1

Guys,
I have been experimenting in applying a muddy surface on my models. I have been reading a few articles in a few books and magazines on this. only throwing me ever farther into confusion. I have spent this week attempting these techniques with no good results. Any Advice you can offer would be more than welcome.
Thanks,
Kirk

Peter Nissinen
Peter Nissinen

August 7th, 2003, 8:59 am #2

I got this from someone on the Allied forum.
For dried mud, wet the surface where you want mud. Using a piece of sand paper or a knife, grind a small pile of pastel powder(use dry pastels). Apply the powder to the wet surfaces, finishing with some powder on a dry brush to get a "dried mud" surface.

Another method is using the real stuff. Check out this article on the IpmsStockholm.org website
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2 ... h_dirt.htm

Good luck!
/Peter

ben elliott
ben elliott

August 7th, 2003, 10:37 am #3

Guys,
I have been experimenting in applying a muddy surface on my models. I have been reading a few articles in a few books and magazines on this. only throwing me ever farther into confusion. I have spent this week attempting these techniques with no good results. Any Advice you can offer would be more than welcome.
Thanks,
Kirk
a nice simple way if you're using paint is to apply it with a toothbrush. Simply dip the toothbrush in the 'mud,' then just run your finger down the brush and it'll flick the paint onto the model, giving a realistic appearance of mud flicked up from the tracks/wheels (although i recommend practice first to prevent it going all over the place)
HTH
Ben

August 7th, 2003, 9:08 pm #4

Hey,
Thanks for the input. My current subject is the jaguar m551 Sheridan. All my reference is thick mud all over the lower part of the model. I had just doing mud in thin applications which never gave me the satisfaction I wanted from this. Are these methods suitable for this application.
thanks,
Kirk

Peter Nissinen
Peter Nissinen

August 8th, 2003, 5:23 pm #5

...I think using the real stuff is best. Do you have any pictures to show the muddy effect you had in mind?

/Peter

Mike Starmer
Mike Starmer

August 8th, 2003, 8:49 pm #6

Guys,
Thanks,
Kirk
I mix cheap talcum powder in the paint and plaster it on with an old brush, building up layers where required. If it represents wet mud then gloss varnish over when the paint has dried.
Mike S