Simple way to make headlamp glass

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Simple way to make headlamp glass

May 13th, 2011, 2:24 am #1

Last edited by Augusto Versiani on May 13th, 2011, 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 13th, 2011, 7:15 am #2

But ya know what, not everybody has that... Melting/softening and bending sprue, both regular and clear, is SOOOOO much a great tool in our scale. So much so that a big thanks is in order. Sometimes when we revisit the "How-to" we remember things that we forgot. I think this is an AWESOME flashback...

Matt

May 13th, 2011, 11:58 am #3

Hi Augusto and Matt,

As you mentioned Matt it is nice to see the 'old' skills being used and even improved on, unfortunately they are being lost with the seemingly 'de rigeur' use of photoetch and aftermarket. I mentioned stretched sprue to some young modellers recently and they hadn't a clue what I was on about. In the 70's you weren't considered a decent modeller if you couldn't stretch sprue to make aerials etc.

Thanks for a trip down memory lane, all the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

May 13th, 2011, 2:27 pm #4

... without frosting the backside of the lens? My experience with clear sprue is that when you cut it with a knife the clear sprue tends to become frosted over, i.e. partly opaque.

al
al magnus
On the Way contributor, editor & one who has no lack of success (see definition of success below).

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

May 14th, 2011, 12:36 am #5

I cut it with a fine saw and polish back side with some nail polish file.

May 14th, 2011, 11:10 am #6

a good and fast method but, how you choose the scale. I think it is complicate for 1:72 scale.

Thanks for sharing.

Pedro.

May 14th, 2011, 7:42 pm #7

What I do is drill a blind hole or countersink into the lamp front, tint with silver paint then use Krystal Klear or a bead of two part clear resin.

May 16th, 2011, 11:42 am #8

I use these sistem ocacionaly.To have the proper size, I have to make a kind of "mould" (a little hole with the point of the cutter,or anoither sharp instrument, in screwing movements)in the plastic, in the real place of the head lamp, and then I aplied the heat trasnparent plastic in the hole,the result is a kind of "spear" of trasnparent plastic, the sahrp pointe of the spear culd be "worked" with sand paper, then I cut it and use the extreme. The ruslt are no great, but is good when I'm hurry.
This week end I was trying the pedro's method, I think I need more practice.For a moment I still working with the old metod of the "contact lenses".
Last edited by carlos.pitteri on May 16th, 2011, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 17th, 2011, 12:04 am #9

Elmers Glue is the way to go, goes on milky white, dries crystal clear...........no saws or flames or polishing