Sigg 33, Bison,. SDKFZ 7, Bergepanzer 4, JS-2 and JSU-152 continuum

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Sigg 33, Bison,. SDKFZ 7, Bergepanzer 4, JS-2 and JSU-152 continuum

June 22nd, 2011, 3:06 pm #1

Here is the latest and greatest-

Here is the Dragon halftrack I have been plugging away on. I started these (the SDKFZ7, the Sig 33s and the Bergepanzer 4) a while back but my terminal AMS (Advanced modeler syndrome for those who dont know) prevented me from completing anything. It is now in remission and I can actually get things done without fretting too much.

This had been base coated, some slight post shading and a few washes with some minor chips and scratches have been added. Some oil paint fading has been done but a lot more is needed to provide some oomph.

The Bergepanzer 4- a little streaky and stark but some oil stains, heavy washes and Migments will get things looking right. I also added some mud to the lower end- the 1st base coat which needs a lot of toning work with the airbrush and powders. I am pretty excited at how this is coming along at the moment. The lower end looks a littel crappy- but it is the 1st coat and will really respond now to some dry pigments and some oil paint stains.

Here are the base-coated RussianJSU-152 and IS-2 that I posted earlier this week. There is far more going on than my crappy photographic skills will portray. I have a ton of pre and post shading that is just not apparent in these shots. In particular, the 152- which I really went for a weather beaten grimy look on, has some substantial shading work. I think the washes and filters will bring out these subtle tones a little better plus Ill take future pics in front of an off-white background. The green and green seems to wash out pretty bad.

Ill be adding the quintessential chains and un-ditching logs to these and maybe even a very worn whitewash to one or both- I have not yet decided. The tracks are Vallejo track primer straight on the lither of the two and the other has the same with some NATO black added.

My little Panzer 1 with the piggy-backing Sig33. I love this gun- and the P1 is awesome, but the two together always look top heavy on this Bison. I bet this tall thing was a bullet magnet on the Russian steppes in 1940 or so.

This has had some subtle weathering done like oil spot fading and light washes added. Still a ways to go but I have a new directive in my brain- GET MODELS DONE FOR ONCE!

I love this tank, I love this kit and I love this model- what more can I say. Ever since Tony Greenlands bible- Panzer Modeling Masterclass, I have had a continuing love affair with this vehicle. I read that book so many times that I am on my 3rd copy. The first two were covered in paint form my work bench and the pages had fallen out from being opened and closed so many times. I still find myself re-reading that text at least 3-4 times a year. It always brings me back to my beginning when models were either lumps of flash and mold seams or clunky resin that weighed in at 50 Lbs. Remember the old Tamiya 5 Cm gun and Quad that could be picked up at Pic-N-save for $3.95? I had a pile of those kits- and they were state of the art!

This has been base coated only- nothing else done yet. I have plans for this bad boy- and will be base coating the interior items this evening. I have some resin radios I may be adding, or I might leave it empty like it was removed in a hurry with some wires dangling, etc.

That is all thats fit to print- and thanks for looking.

It is great to be back in the saddle and I cant wait to get home and start painting!!

JD

June 22nd, 2011, 3:44 pm #2

no need mate,

http://malcsmodels.blogspot.com/

ive gone truck mad at the moment, giving the tracks a rest for a while, but not too long, Im missing the smell of zimmerit and sherman O/D paint. (-:

malc.

June 23rd, 2011, 8:55 am #3

Here is the Dragon halftrack I have been plugging away on. I started these (the SDKFZ7, the Sig 33s and the Bergepanzer 4) a while back but my terminal AMS (Advanced modeler syndrome for those who dont know) prevented me from completing anything. It is now in remission and I can actually get things done without fretting too much.

This had been base coated, some slight post shading and a few washes with some minor chips and scratches have been added. Some oil paint fading has been done but a lot more is needed to provide some oomph.

The Bergepanzer 4- a little streaky and stark but some oil stains, heavy washes and Migments will get things looking right. I also added some mud to the lower end- the 1st base coat which needs a lot of toning work with the airbrush and powders. I am pretty excited at how this is coming along at the moment. The lower end looks a littel crappy- but it is the 1st coat and will really respond now to some dry pigments and some oil paint stains.

Here are the base-coated RussianJSU-152 and IS-2 that I posted earlier this week. There is far more going on than my crappy photographic skills will portray. I have a ton of pre and post shading that is just not apparent in these shots. In particular, the 152- which I really went for a weather beaten grimy look on, has some substantial shading work. I think the washes and filters will bring out these subtle tones a little better plus Ill take future pics in front of an off-white background. The green and green seems to wash out pretty bad.

Ill be adding the quintessential chains and un-ditching logs to these and maybe even a very worn whitewash to one or both- I have not yet decided. The tracks are Vallejo track primer straight on the lither of the two and the other has the same with some NATO black added.

My little Panzer 1 with the piggy-backing Sig33. I love this gun- and the P1 is awesome, but the two together always look top heavy on this Bison. I bet this tall thing was a bullet magnet on the Russian steppes in 1940 or so.

This has had some subtle weathering done like oil spot fading and light washes added. Still a ways to go but I have a new directive in my brain- GET MODELS DONE FOR ONCE!

I love this tank, I love this kit and I love this model- what more can I say. Ever since Tony Greenlands bible- Panzer Modeling Masterclass, I have had a continuing love affair with this vehicle. I read that book so many times that I am on my 3rd copy. The first two were covered in paint form my work bench and the pages had fallen out from being opened and closed so many times. I still find myself re-reading that text at least 3-4 times a year. It always brings me back to my beginning when models were either lumps of flash and mold seams or clunky resin that weighed in at 50 Lbs. Remember the old Tamiya 5 Cm gun and Quad that could be picked up at Pic-N-save for $3.95? I had a pile of those kits- and they were state of the art!

This has been base coated only- nothing else done yet. I have plans for this bad boy- and will be base coating the interior items this evening. I have some resin radios I may be adding, or I might leave it empty like it was removed in a hurry with some wires dangling, etc.

It is great to be back in the saddle and I cant wait to get home and start painting!!

JD
1941 not 1940 and Soviet, not Russian...
Otherwise - great models
https://www.facebook.com/rvscale/
https://roman-the-modelmaker.blogspot.no/

June 23rd, 2011, 8:20 pm #4

Thanks-

I guess.....

JD

June 23rd, 2011, 8:36 pm #5

no need mate,

http://malcsmodels.blogspot.com/

ive gone truck mad at the moment, giving the tracks a rest for a while, but not too long, Im missing the smell of zimmerit and sherman O/D paint. (-:

malc.
Post some trucks!

They look fanatstic-

I love anything to do ith revovery as the weathering options are endless. Well done so far- I could spend hours on your site.

JD
Last edited by jdun91764 on June 23rd, 2011, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 24th, 2011, 5:19 am #6

JD
Hi James!
I like the color modulation on both JS and JSU. Looks quit random but without "overmodulation".

the weathering of bergepanzer is also good. Wood you like to add a little more weathering on the wooden barrel?

Vladimir Yashin
"Ostfront Studio"
The Russian Way of Modelling

http://ost-front.ru/en

June 24th, 2011, 5:40 pm #7

JD
Just curious: is the wooden beam real wood? If not, how did you achieve the fine grain of the wood?

June 24th, 2011, 7:36 pm #8

Hi James!
I like the color modulation on both JS and JSU. Looks quit random but without "overmodulation".

the weathering of bergepanzer is also good. Wood you like to add a little more weathering on the wooden barrel?

Vladimir Yashin
"Ostfront Studio"
The Russian Way of Modelling

http://ost-front.ru/en
It needs a ot more- I agree. Being a recovery vehicle I still need to add the chains, rust, oils stians, etc. No pigments or any other itmes have been added just- just washes and chips and the pre coat of mud.

thank you for your comments-

JD

June 24th, 2011, 7:38 pm #9

Just curious: is the wooden beam real wood? If not, how did you achieve the fine grain of the wood?
I could tell you...but then...

Ahh foget it. I just used a saw and jammed it into the end over the over. The grain itself was there- on the kit part. i added some more by running a nedle chucked into a drill handle while watching the tubd one evening.

No great mystery here- just good old fashion boredom at work.

Thanks for the comments-

JUD