Siapan Type 97 progress

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Siapan Type 97 progress

October 10th, 2011, 5:42 pm #1

more progress, albeit slowly. Heavy doses of MiG pigments on the lower hull, along with the new AK Track Wash and a bit of gloss.

More pigments, stains and grime begun on the upper areas. This followed by more oils using Mike Rinaldi's "Oil Paint Rendering" technique.

Waiting on new Blacken-it so I can get on the tracks, also waiting on more AK products. In the meantime I'll be addressing the rack and stowage and tools and whatnot. Also need to address the stub ends of the turret antenna, they've been contact points during the turret weathering, but the turret will probably stay in place from this point on.

As always, thanks for looking and feel free to comment!

Cheers, Tracy

October 10th, 2011, 6:25 pm #2

Hi Tracy!

This one is coming along great, I have been looking forward to see the follow-up. Worth the wait, thanks for sharing!

I really like how the colors are developing with the weathering.

Will you make some figures, too?

Cheers,
Peter

October 10th, 2011, 7:02 pm #3

I'm glad you like it. I've been careful to keep some color in the weathering process. I've been studying the great figure painters around here, but haven't crossed that bridge yet. I've got a couple to go with my Type 89, so I'll have to start practicing.

Thanks for the support!

Cheers, Tracy

October 10th, 2011, 7:02 pm #4

more progress, albeit slowly. Heavy doses of MiG pigments on the lower hull, along with the new AK Track Wash and a bit of gloss.

More pigments, stains and grime begun on the upper areas. This followed by more oils using Mike Rinaldi's "Oil Paint Rendering" technique.

Waiting on new Blacken-it so I can get on the tracks, also waiting on more AK products. In the meantime I'll be addressing the rack and stowage and tools and whatnot. Also need to address the stub ends of the turret antenna, they've been contact points during the turret weathering, but the turret will probably stay in place from this point on.

Cheers, Tracy
Love the weathering on this well done!

Luke Pitt

October 10th, 2011, 7:13 pm #5

This is my first serious AFV model, so it's slow going, but I'm doing my very best and learning a lot; your encouragement is awesome, thanks!

Cheers, Tracy

October 10th, 2011, 9:05 pm #6

Cheers, Tracy
weathering is very realistic.
https://www.facebook.com/rvscale/
https://roman-the-modelmaker.blogspot.no/

October 10th, 2011, 9:16 pm #7

Cheers, Tracy
Hello Tracy,

Really nice results so far, the sun effects on the paint look very good. I must have missed your earlier progress report but you probably used the MR Modellbau set as I see the smoke rack on the turret?
Great work and please keep us updated on your blacken-it treatment of the tracks, MK or Friuls?

Theo

October 10th, 2011, 9:19 pm #8

Cheers, Tracy
It's a very good job! complimenti.

http://www.hsstudio.it

http://troby-shermanolic.blogspot.com

October 10th, 2011, 9:39 pm #9

Thanks for the encouraging words!

Theo - yes, I used the MR Modellbau set and have my Fruils all assembled and ready to go!

Here is a link to the original build for anyone interested:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/m ... +97+Chi-Ha

Thanks again!

Cheers, Tracy

October 11th, 2011, 2:01 am #10

Cheers, Tracy
Makes me want to crack my HaGo out of the stash.

Small point but AFAIK the guns on Japanese tanks were all painted ordnance brown (same earth brown as helmets)and were not camoed like the rest of the vehicle. 50:50 mix of tamiya red brown and tamiya khaki is pretty close.

Tom K.