SHOPS IN LONDON

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

SHOPS IN LONDON

November 2nd, 2017, 5:45 pm #1

Going to London tomorrow. Where to buy my next kit?

November 2nd, 2017, 10:37 pm #2

I'm not a Londoner and the only model shop that I know is Hannants, in North London. This used to be brilliant, but was only a shadow of its former self when I last visited. It might be worth looking in if you can combine it with a visit to the RAF Museum, almost next door. The nearest tube station is Colindale, on the Edgeware branch of the Northern Line. It's quite a long way out from central London.

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Andy Lang
'No, I don't know what I'm doing. I never did'. (Carol Aird, 1952)

November 3rd, 2017, 9:00 am #3

Just to add that the Colindale branch is not open everyday and only carries a limited stock.

CLOSED Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

Thursday and Friday Open 11.00am. Close at 7.00pm.

Saturday Open 9.30am. Close 5.00pm

OPEN ON SUNDAYS Open 11.00am. Close 4.00pm

It's quite a long walk from the station too, it used to be next to the exit, but moved to an industrial unit near the RAF Museum.

On the general point, London (even including Greater London) is something of a modelling desert as far as shops are concerned, since Model Zone collapsed there are none I am aware of in Central London, though I think Hamleys (in Regent's Street) stock Airfix / Revell.

jh

November 3rd, 2017, 3:52 pm #4

Just a slight addition for those unfamiliar with the area. Not only is Hannants a long way from the station mentioned, but, though it is indeed near the RAF museum, it is in fact just past the museum (if you are walking from the station). On the other hand, Hannants in Lowestoft is such a rabbit warren full of treasures that even the employees sometimes have difficulty in locating things (went there on holiday this summer).
Chris

November 5th, 2017, 5:33 pm #5

I'm not a Londoner and the only model shop that I know is Hannants, in North London. This used to be brilliant, but was only a shadow of its former self when I last visited. It might be worth looking in if you can combine it with a visit to the RAF Museum, almost next door. The nearest tube station is Colindale, on the Edgeware branch of the Northern Line. It's quite a long way out from central London.

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Andy Lang
Basically a waste of space. Go to the Oulton Broad warehouse.

November 6th, 2017, 9:02 am #6

Assuming you are starting in Central London, it would probably quicker to take the Eurostar to Paris rather than trek to Oulton Broad!

That said the Hannants' warehouse has an eye-boggling amount of kits and associated products.

jh