Sherman II and Sherman III Italy photos.

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Sherman II and Sherman III Italy photos.

November 9th, 2011, 7:00 pm #1

A couple of questions.
Any idea where and when the Sherman II photo was taken?
Also I'd appreciate any opinions or information regarding the location, units etc of the two Sherman III pictures.

http://www.montegabbione.net/battaglia_ ... 44_EN.html

Thank You

November 9th, 2011, 7:16 pm #2

But it looks like it is carrying two different WD serial numbers.

Cheers
Kevin

November 9th, 2011, 9:51 pm #3

A couple of questions.
Also I'd appreciate any opinions or information regarding the location, units etc of the two Sherman III pictures.

Thank You
I can't see a Sherman II. Pic 1 is a Sherman V by the looks of it.

Or have I missed something?

November 9th, 2011, 10:25 pm #4

The first one is definitely a Sherman V and the second one is , I think, a Sherman III. Now, as to where they are, I can't say. But knowing the vehicle types might help someone know which units they belonded to and then nail down the rest.

HTH

Paul

Paul Roberts

Join AMPS!
www.amps-armor.org

November 9th, 2011, 11:58 pm #5

A couple of questions.

Thank You
The M4A4 is a well known shot of a South African 6AD vehicle but the M4A2 could be from NZ, British or Polish. 9 AB (Wiltshires) were supposedly involded in this action but whether the photo is from that action or not is debatable.
No Formation marks are visible on the M4A2 which makes ID pretty much impossible unless someone has a listing of the T Numbers for 9 AB and the rest of the 8th Army Shermans by Formation
Sorry i cannot be any more help

November 10th, 2011, 7:39 am #6

A couple of questions.

Thank You
Hi,

as Al wrote above, first one tank is from South African 6AD. I have it listed as IWM photo NA 16235. And it is certainly M4A4 (Sherman Mk.V), the space between the bogies is the clue.

I have the copy of the second photo from E bay and here it was listed as from Vietri in the Salerno area, 8/10/1943. Unfortunately, I have no other confirmation for this information and I do not rely too much on e bay captions. If this caption is true, this tank should be from 40RTR/23AB. Certainly it is M4A2 (Sherman Mk.III) and 23AB was equipped with this type of Sherman. Moreover, the style of the stowage and camo layout is similar to the 23AB Shermans from this time period. Field modified towing hook and missing flap of the TC hatch are of special interest on this tank.

Third photo is also M4A2 (Sherman Mk.III) and it is from 9AB. I have slightly better copy of that photo (it was published in one of H&C magazines with the caption, that it is IWM photo NA 16502 and that it was shot at Route No 6). Here it is clear, that it has welded drivers hoods and 9AB marking (white horse on green rectangle) is also more clearly seen. That marking is also visible on the copy from your weblink. It is in the middle of the left side of the glacis.

Hope it helps,

Ondra

November 10th, 2011, 7:58 am #7

A couple of questions.

Thank You
Greetings,

Ondra, thanks for the ID of the Sherman. I bought the photo that was on ebay. An enlarged scan is below showing WD number if it helps.

Cheers,
Mark

[/IMG]

November 10th, 2011, 4:37 pm #8

My dads regiment -1st Derbyshire Yeomanary 6th A.D. also used Sherman III's in Italy.
Neil
Last edited by neil1194 on November 10th, 2011, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 10th, 2011, 6:44 pm #9

The M4A4 is a well known shot of a South African 6AD vehicle but the M4A2 could be from NZ, British or Polish. 9 AB (Wiltshires) were supposedly involded in this action but whether the photo is from that action or not is debatable.
No Formation marks are visible on the M4A2 which makes ID pretty much impossible unless someone has a listing of the T Numbers for 9 AB and the rest of the 8th Army Shermans by Formation
Sorry i cannot be any more help
If anyone else has any please let me know.
Dich, Roddy, Tim?

Cheers
Kevin

November 10th, 2011, 9:28 pm #10

My dads regiment -1st Derbyshire Yeomanary 6th A.D. also used Sherman III's in Italy.
Neil
Thank you for your reponses.

I tried to upload a photo of what looked like a knocked out early Sherman II with the red/white/red flash and labelled as 'knocked out near Termoli'. However I couldn't get the photo/link to attach.

Richard Ballard