Shermam dozer for a usmc tank on the pacific question...

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Shermam dozer for a usmc tank on the pacific question...

May 7th, 2012, 12:44 am #1

Thinking about making a marine Sherman (m4a2) with dozer blade set in the pacific.
There are several dozer blades available, resicast;verlinden; and the academy Sherman with dozer blade.
Any one have strong opinions on which is best? Or at least the best starting point?
I like the idea of using the academy kit, not the tank just the dozer. I'll probably use a dragon m4a2.
thanks much!

May 7th, 2012, 2:50 am #2

Makes an Excellent Dozer. The Verlinden is usually cheaper but mine had both side support arms terribly warped!

May 7th, 2012, 2:37 pm #3

Thinking about making a marine Sherman (m4a2) with dozer blade set in the pacific.
There are several dozer blades available, resicast;verlinden; and the academy Sherman with dozer blade.
Any one have strong opinions on which is best? Or at least the best starting point?
I like the idea of using the academy kit, not the tank just the dozer. I'll probably use a dragon m4a2.
thanks much!
All the available bulldozers kits are problematic.

The Resicast kit is very basic and lacking in many details. It will take some work to bring it up to standard. The VP kit is better in that more of the actual assembly is represented, but it also requires work to make it look accurate and to allow it to fit the contemporary kits, such as Dragon, or Tasca.

If you can find it, the old Trax kit is a good compromise of detail and simplicity. It is now out of production, but copies certainly can be found.

Beware the Academy bulldozer. Not only is it clunky, it also represents the M1A1 version, meant for use only on HVSS Shermans. The M1A1 was 14 inches wider and had a three-piece hydraulic lifter, versus the one-piece of the M1. As you know, the HVSS version of the Sherman was not used by the USMC during WW2. The M1 bulldozer was used on VVSS Shermans.

Although I realize that it will not help you at this point, my fervent wish is that Tasca will release an M1 bulldozer kit by itself. Even an absolutely spot-on accurate rendition would still be way less than a full Sherman kit AND if properly done, would fit any Sherman model out there---just like their suspensions. There are also common parts for the M1A1 version.

Ah to dream!

Pat
MMiR

May 7th, 2012, 3:09 pm #4

thanks much!
Howdy Aaron, I have the Trakz (TX 0114) M1 Blade and the castings all appear to be straight and true. I have not installed it yet and do not know if it will turn into a wrestling match. I picked up the Blade kit from Squadron right off the shelf at last years Eaglequest.
Outta here, Mike sends . . .
Last edited by Michael Mummey on May 7th, 2012, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 7th, 2012, 3:49 pm #5

sorry, was using my phone to post and its a paint to make caps...
my family is loaded with marines, so please don't tell them i didn't capitalize it, or i will be hazed next time I go home

Ill go looking for that trakz conversion, thanks for the info!

May 7th, 2012, 3:57 pm #6

All the available bulldozers kits are problematic.

The Resicast kit is very basic and lacking in many details. It will take some work to bring it up to standard. The VP kit is better in that more of the actual assembly is represented, but it also requires work to make it look accurate and to allow it to fit the contemporary kits, such as Dragon, or Tasca.

If you can find it, the old Trax kit is a good compromise of detail and simplicity. It is now out of production, but copies certainly can be found.

Beware the Academy bulldozer. Not only is it clunky, it also represents the M1A1 version, meant for use only on HVSS Shermans. The M1A1 was 14 inches wider and had a three-piece hydraulic lifter, versus the one-piece of the M1. As you know, the HVSS version of the Sherman was not used by the USMC during WW2. The M1 bulldozer was used on VVSS Shermans.

Although I realize that it will not help you at this point, my fervent wish is that Tasca will release an M1 bulldozer kit by itself. Even an absolutely spot-on accurate rendition would still be way less than a full Sherman kit AND if properly done, would fit any Sherman model out there---just like their suspensions. There are also common parts for the M1A1 version.

Ah to dream!

Pat
MMiR
you saved me money on the resicast one, its the most expensive one out there! no point in spending $70 if the verlinden one will do.
Also great heads up on the academy one, ill skip it

so looks like i am on the lookout for the trakz one. If i cant find it i will grab the verlinden and "make it work"
do you have any recommendations on a good book for blueprints or other images of the dozer?

I hear you on tasca. I am sure they will come out with it after i get my resin one done ;P

Thanks so much!

May 7th, 2012, 3:59 pm #7

Makes an Excellent Dozer. The Verlinden is usually cheaper but mine had both side support arms terribly warped!
seems to be hit or miss on stuff. was it a complicated part or could it be easily re-built with evergreen?
is verlinden good about replacing warped/miscast parts?
thanks for the reply!

May 7th, 2012, 7:10 pm #8

you saved me money on the resicast one, its the most expensive one out there! no point in spending $70 if the verlinden one will do.
Also great heads up on the academy one, ill skip it

so looks like i am on the lookout for the trakz one. If i cant find it i will grab the verlinden and "make it work"
do you have any recommendations on a good book for blueprints or other images of the dozer?

I hear you on tasca. I am sure they will come out with it after i get my resin one done ;P

Thanks so much!
He's got the manual on CD. VERY useful.

Be careful, having the proper reference can cause excessive modeling...

Pat
MMiR

May 7th, 2012, 8:18 pm #9

io ordered it up, ill try to curb the AMS