Self Casting Legality Question

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Self Casting Legality Question

May 2nd, 2011, 9:03 pm #1

If I buy a resin update set from a manufacturer, then use it to cast my own parts for my own use, is it legally ok? I bought a full update set but only wanted to use a few parts.

I know the obvious answer is - "if it's for your own use who'll know?" But I would like to show 'progress' shots, and it's obvious that the parts aren't original.

May 2nd, 2011, 10:15 pm #2

You're okay if you're making copies for your own use.
You're being bad if you sell or give them to others.

Scott Fraser

May 3rd, 2011, 9:52 am #3

If I buy a resin update set from a manufacturer, then use it to cast my own parts for my own use, is it legally ok? I bought a full update set but only wanted to use a few parts.

I know the obvious answer is - "if it's for your own use who'll know?" But I would like to show 'progress' shots, and it's obvious that the parts aren't original.
Being a resin caster/manufacturer myself,I don't really see a problem with it, to a certain extent.
Have you asked the manufacturer of the original cast parts if they would sell you just the bits you want?
I sell bits and pieces of my kits.

Cheers Jason Miller

Arms Corps Models

May 3rd, 2011, 11:42 am #4

I think you are touching on a very gray area Ian.

I am sure that legally in most countries just because you bought it you are not allowed to copy it, as that generally breaches copyright legislation. While you do not plan to sell the parts and make money from it like many others on eBay, in your particular example you would be depriving the manufacturer from making a sale as you do want additional specific items for your project.

While some manufacturers probably wouldn't care as it is more of a hobby, there are others out there that depend upon sales to pay bills. It really depends upon whom the manufacturer is. The smaller they are maybe the more flexible they are.

I think Jason offered you the best advice in contacting the manufacturer and attempt to purchase the individual parts that you are after - Maybe they could decide to release them for sale as a separate set. Or you could always offer a trade in that you are prepared to send back the other parts that you are not planning on using so they could box them back into another update set.

Additionally as you are planning on doing progress photos, you could always discuss the option of you plugging their product and company throughout your progress reports (especially if it is going to get published, or posted on Missing Linx). There are several of the smaller various manufacturers that provide some samples as part of advertising.

Best of luck with your decision, most people wouldn't have even asked.

May 3rd, 2011, 12:57 pm #5

Its been done for a long time, and there have been a number of magazine articles in well known modeling mags with step by step instructions on how to do it. Don't get too hung up on it.
Cheers
Jason

May 3rd, 2011, 2:06 pm #6

Ian

To be honest there is very little that can be done to stop anyone from knocking off castings, however there have been a few not so bright individuals that have posted what they have done on a few other forums and opened themselves up for a serious lashing, so my advice is to delete this thread! LOL!

There are also a few asswipes on Evil-Bay that make a living pirating items from Alpine, S&T, NWM, Warriors, Verlinden etc. this guy should meet his maker!

Have a great day!
Mrosko

May 3rd, 2011, 4:01 pm #7

As has been said - this seems like a very grey area. As I stated, this would be a one off and for my own use only and it would be my intention to use the full update set at a later date.

Chris - It was a genuine question regarding something the I haven't yet done so I won't delete it as it may be of use to other modellers.

Thanks again

Ian

May 3rd, 2011, 8:20 pm #8

Ian

To be honest there is very little that can be done to stop anyone from knocking off castings, however there have been a few not so bright individuals that have posted what they have done on a few other forums and opened themselves up for a serious lashing, so my advice is to delete this thread! LOL!

There are also a few asswipes on Evil-Bay that make a living pirating items from Alpine, S&T, NWM, Warriors, Verlinden etc. this guy should meet his maker!

Have a great day!
Mrosko
AZ-WEE-PAY.

Just so you know.

Pat
MMiR

May 3rd, 2011, 11:19 pm #9

Pat
You are alive! I was told at AMPS Nats that you and the magazine had folded and you had left the hobby?
But I see that there is a new issue of MMIR ready to be released?
Talk to me son!
Whazzzzz-up?

Have a Great day.
Mrosko

May 6th, 2011, 10:06 am #10

highly neglected subject with interesting items in regard to uniforms and equipment!
bast regards,
marko