seeking info on the "English Workman"

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

seeking info on the "English Workman"

Shane Black
Shane Black

January 6th, 2005, 10:58 pm #1

does anyone out there have any pics of the Vickers Mediums purchased by Russia in the 30's? I'm just seeking some reference on the "English Workman" as it was called. And I was wondering exactly how many were purchased and were they built under licence in Russia? Many thanks in advance.

Mike Cooper
Mike Cooper

January 7th, 2005, 9:15 am #2

I think Bovvie has some drawings of the beastie. Steve Zaloga's book on Russian armour of the Great Patriotic War - if I recall right - seems to say that there was one, bought as a demo model. As far as I can tell it was virtually identical to the small number that went to Australia - flat topped turret etc.

Mt impression from "Mechanised Force" and "Vickers Tanks" was also that there was one and one only, and that was the beast the Finns captured sans gun.

Mike Cooper

David Maynard
David Maynard

January 7th, 2005, 11:04 am #3

is 'Soviet tanks and combat vehicles of WW11' by Zaloga and Grandsen.

Has a photograph of the tank taken by the Finns after capture. Has a sheet of corrugated metal on the turret top and no gun if I remember correctly.

Shane Black
Shane Black

January 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm #4

So there was only one? I for some reason thought that the Russians had actually produced a small number under licence. I guess this is why there are so few pics of the vehicle in Russian service. It's even more interesting that she possibly saw combat in Finland. That make two Vickers Mediums that potentially saw conflict. I wonder if there were a couple more in North Africa that were used in anger? Thanks again for the replies.