Securing Minute Etch

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Securing Minute Etch

April 27th, 2017, 5:10 pm #1

I am working, with 1mm letters and numbers. They have to line up perfectly to fit. I tried securing them, with varnish. But, it did not provide a strong enough bond. I tried extra thin CA, but it flooded the symbols. Before buying special glue, I thought to try PVA. I mixed Elmer's School Glue and distilled water in equal parts. Simply touch the etch to the slurry and place. You have some working time and, if it is off or lose can be removed, have glue applied and reposition easily. I you want, I can post a photo of the tools and final assembly to give you a better idea of this technique.

May 10th, 2017, 5:24 pm #2

I use extra thin plastic cement to position the etch. It will not bond but it will hold it in place so that once I like the position I can touch the edge with CA and capillary action should flow around the piece and secure it.

George
Last edited by GEORGE PROULX on May 10th, 2017, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 10th, 2017, 8:22 pm #3

Unfortunately, even extra-thin ca glue floods such tiny pieces.

May 12th, 2017, 6:55 am #4

As George said, but spray with varnish, (or similar), afterwards instead of flooding with CA.

Ian

May 14th, 2017, 12:59 pm #5

nt
Last edited by Retiredyank on May 14th, 2017, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 21st, 2017, 2:01 pm #6

I am working, with 1mm letters and numbers. They have to line up perfectly to fit. I tried securing them, with varnish. But, it did not provide a strong enough bond. I tried extra thin CA, but it flooded the symbols. Before buying special glue, I thought to try PVA. I mixed Elmer's School Glue and distilled water in equal parts. Simply touch the etch to the slurry and place. You have some working time and, if it is off or lose can be removed, have glue applied and reposition easily. I you want, I can post a photo of the tools and final assembly to give you a better idea of this technique.
It's a clear vinyl-like, pva style glue but with more grip and tack.

http://www.gatorsmask.com/gatorglueorder1.html

It's also great for windshields, headlights, and non clear parts that are at risk for being bumped since it has a bit of give and won't snap.
DAVID NICKELS