Seattle Show 2011

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Seattle Show 2011

April 11th, 2011, 1:33 am #1

Just got back home from the Seattle Show and it was well worth the trip: well organized, great venue, lots of vendors, and plenty of outstanding models entered. Looking forward to Seattle 2012!!

April 11th, 2011, 12:29 pm #2

And the other two major shows we have this year. Port Townsend and McMinnville and then the Vancouver, BC show to finish it off.

April 11th, 2011, 3:14 pm #3

Just got back home from the Seattle Show and it was well worth the trip: well organized, great venue, lots of vendors, and plenty of outstanding models entered. Looking forward to Seattle 2012!!
huge drop in models entered this year, especially in the armor catagory? I think there was only around 10 German WWII tanks entered. Modern was pretty well represented but again not as much as previous years. As mentioned there was a pretty good vendor turn out but I spent less than $50.00 on models (most for my son) and $60.00 on Aftermarket stuff (1 set of Friul tracks, 1 set of Blast LAV tires and a Mig T-55 mantlet). Scored really well at the raffle though clearly getting my $20.00 investment back (and then some).

Roy

April 11th, 2011, 3:21 pm #4

I didn't do so well in the raffle this time! I am usually very lucky. If our club does a 318th FIS aircraft, I already have two....1/48 Italeri T-33 and 1/72 Hasegawa F-15. Both were raffle wins. I love walking the vendor tables but no one had anything I was looking for. RnJ got the brunt of my spending ($45) and another $6 on some accessory sets. I did pick up the old Italeri OKU and V1 for $10 and plan to use it in a cute little setting I have in mind. Could not believe there were NO Academy M113A3s for sale. That was gonna be my big spending!!! Armor has never been REALLY big at any of the shows in the Great Northwest. We always get overshadowed by the aircraft. I loved that "Soccer War" Corsair and the B-29 was gorgeous also.
Last edited by Warfrost on April 11th, 2011, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 11th, 2011, 4:07 pm #5

Roy is correct, the armor contingent let themselves down this year, in terms of entry numbers. Funny, since at 8 entries this year, I had my strongest showing ever! And at 14 entries, the 1/48th scale military crowd did themselves proud in armor.

However, overall, with entries for this year's show coming in at just over 600, this equalled last year's numbers. If armor entries were down, then it requires the armor modelers to get on the stick, and build!

Vendors: as a vendor, I did well, though didn't sell everything on my table. People are demanding really low prices on the "second hand" stuff if they are to buy. Too many models chasing too few dollars in this weakened economy of ours??

I was looking for one model kit only, an M26 Dragon wagon with trailer. The retail on this is $151 apparently, and I found one for $40, and heard another fellow got one for $35. It pays to look about at these types of shows, bargains are there to be found.

Anyway, glad people had a great time, thanks to Mark Aldrich for taking the time to come by my vendor table and introduce himself, always great to put names and faces together! As Mark says, roll on the next few "local shows", the one at Fort Warden on the Kitsap penisula, McMinnville down in Oregon, and IPMS Vancouver up in BC come October.

Thanks to everyone who turned up to the Seattle show allowing us to be a success.
Cheers,
Andrew Birkbeck
IPMS Seattle Publicity Officer

April 11th, 2011, 4:50 pm #6

there were over 600 models there, but the armor section was truely anemic. Yes Mark, my son and I cleaned up at the raffle table (10 winning tickets). I was suprised at the number of unclaimed tickets this year as there were a few redraws at the end of the show to get rid of the bigger items. Since they didn't get rid of everything they started selling the kits at the end. I agree there were alot of good prices out there on the Vendors tables. I din't buy a whole lot this year because I am pretty much kitted out. I was only really looking for one kit, an ALAN Pz. I F and didn't find it.

Roy

April 11th, 2011, 5:01 pm #7

Roy,
I am pretty sure I saw that kit on the tables across form Emils. The guy that drives the Deuce and a half and is always at the shows and buys collections! That's where I got my accessory sets from and almost picked up the Monogram F-86D Promodeler kit he had for $10. Gonna shoot myself later for that. He was neat putting Andrews name to a face. To me...that is what the shows are all about. The fellowship! Vendors, raffles, trophies all fall to the end.

April 11th, 2011, 5:04 pm #8

Roy is correct, the armor contingent let themselves down this year, in terms of entry numbers. Funny, since at 8 entries this year, I had my strongest showing ever! And at 14 entries, the 1/48th scale military crowd did themselves proud in armor.

However, overall, with entries for this year's show coming in at just over 600, this equalled last year's numbers. If armor entries were down, then it requires the armor modelers to get on the stick, and build!

Vendors: as a vendor, I did well, though didn't sell everything on my table. People are demanding really low prices on the "second hand" stuff if they are to buy. Too many models chasing too few dollars in this weakened economy of ours??

I was looking for one model kit only, an M26 Dragon wagon with trailer. The retail on this is $151 apparently, and I found one for $40, and heard another fellow got one for $35. It pays to look about at these types of shows, bargains are there to be found.

Anyway, glad people had a great time, thanks to Mark Aldrich for taking the time to come by my vendor table and introduce himself, always great to put names and faces together! As Mark says, roll on the next few "local shows", the one at Fort Warden on the Kitsap penisula, McMinnville down in Oregon, and IPMS Vancouver up in BC come October.

Thanks to everyone who turned up to the Seattle show allowing us to be a success.
Cheers,
Andrew Birkbeck
IPMS Seattle Publicity Officer
I have a list that I add to and take away from always. Two new additions were the barrel Depots guns for my Italeri M109s. No one had them. The rest is usually Middle East Wars stuff. I was REALLY looking for the NEW Verlinden Moving target tank. Again...SOL. I did notice that the smaller scale armor was putting up a fight this year. That 1/72 Bergepanther was gorgeous.

April 11th, 2011, 11:17 pm #9

I'd like to go next year, can anyone tell me how long the drive is from NYC?
By the way I love Grey's Anatomy......

Owen

April 12th, 2011, 2:02 am #10

Owen,
Only 2,853 miles....easy trip! Bring some grinders with you!

Mark