sdkfz250 or 251 mortar carriers

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

sdkfz250 or 251 mortar carriers

March 20th, 2012, 3:35 am #1

was the base plate mounted to the floor of the vehicle with the dimounted version a seperate pice or was the baseplate removable?
J

March 20th, 2012, 4:55 am #2

According to "Terry Gander's Book the 250/7 had the baseplate "fixed" to the bottom of the vehicle. "For dismounted fire the usual baseplate was carried on the hull rear, next to the entry door."

March 20th, 2012, 5:40 am #3

was the base plate mounted to the floor of the vehicle with the dimounted version a seperate pice or was the baseplate removable?
J
Hi Jerry,

According to the above, the 250 had a "Spezialbodenplatte" which was a specific interior mount, the usual baseplate was carried on the upper starboard side of the rear panel. I's guess the 251 had a similar set up. (that PT is currently in the post!)

Cheers
Steve

Interested in and researching the vehicles and weapons of the Leibstandarte

March 20th, 2012, 11:18 am #4

J
Hi Jerry,

As described above, the base plate of the SdKfz 250/7 was much larger than the carried version on the backside, and extended to both sides of the vehicle. There is even a picture of a surviving, rusted plate in the web somewhere.

I constructed mine based on this picture and the drawings of the PT:

Eric
Last edited by Eric Reist on March 20th, 2012, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 20th, 2012, 1:34 pm #5

According to "Terry Gander's Book the 250/7 had the baseplate "fixed" to the bottom of the vehicle. "For dismounted fire the usual baseplate was carried on the hull rear, next to the entry door."
there is a pic of the mounted exterior baseplate? Anyone?

March 20th, 2012, 1:37 pm #6

Hi Jerry,

According to the above, the 250 had a "Spezialbodenplatte" which was a specific interior mount, the usual baseplate was carried on the upper starboard side of the rear panel. I's guess the 251 had a similar set up. (that PT is currently in the post!)

Cheers
Steve

Interested in and researching the vehicles and weapons of the Leibstandarte
the 250 and 251. I am hoping to build all of the overlooked tracks and avoid the ones usually done(kanonenwagen,pionierewagon,etc.)but it has been hard to find intel on these beasties. Rarer than hens teeth or info on early P-38s!
J

March 20th, 2012, 1:39 pm #7

Hi Jerry,

As described above, the base plate of the SdKfz 250/7 was much larger than the carried version on the backside, and extended to both sides of the vehicle. There is even a picture of a surviving, rusted plate in the web somewhere.

Eric
the web you referenced of the vehicle mounted baseplate or the mobile baseplate?
J

March 20th, 2012, 2:28 pm #8

This is an original plate for the SdKfz 250/7; I saved it from the internet but do not know the source anymore, its part of the collection of Michel Leloup in Falaise so it seems:

Eric

March 20th, 2012, 2:29 pm #9

there is a pic of the mounted exterior baseplate? Anyone?

Eric

March 20th, 2012, 3:42 pm #10

Hi Jerry,

Eric
Nice model you made Eric. I know there is also a picture of a 250/7 in one of the Panzerwrecks issues. (Don't know which..) On that pic the external base plate is hanging from the l/h side.
Pictures of the 251/2 mortar carrier are less rare and as far as I know they had the external base plate hanging on the front armor.

Alfred