Sd.kfz.251 replacement wheels

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Sd.kfz.251 replacement wheels

July 11th, 2018, 7:16 pm #1

I’m not too happy with the wheels in the new ICM kit.  Which wheels are generally considered best - Tamiya, AFV or Dragon?  I think I’m going to have to scavenge some wheels......
Chris Lloyd-Staples

Research / Information Officer, MAFVA

2VP (International), AMPS

July 11th, 2018, 8:29 pm #2

Hi Chris,

You are talking about the front wheels, I gather?

The Tamiya kit is a bit older than the AFV Club and Dragon ones.
Personally, I would go for the AFV Club wheels but that leaves an otherwise great kit without wheels.
Did you consider treating yourself to a nice aftermarket set. I did buy a few of the Quickwheel 251 front wheels
and am very happy about the quality.

Theo

July 11th, 2018, 8:43 pm #3

Actually, Theo, it is the outer roadwheels that just don’t look good enough.  They are too flat, without enough curve, and the thickness around the holes is just way too thick.
Chris Lloyd-Staples

July 11th, 2018, 8:58 pm #4

Alright, that was the other type of wheels I thought you were after ;)

Somebody correct me, but I think that the AFV Club road wheels are the best of the three, but the others are not bad.
That said, perhaps you are aware that AFV Club released the road wheels of their 251 kits as a separate kit/set?

Terry did a review years ago.
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/r ... v35043.htm
This option would leave your original 251 in tact.

July 11th, 2018, 9:06 pm #5

Good suggestion.  The AFV wheel set is hard to find, but I will step up my search.....

Thanks for your thoughts.
Chris Lloyd-Staples

July 12th, 2018, 6:50 am #6

You might need to look for ‘whells’ as that was how the box was labelled....

July 12th, 2018, 7:50 am #7

I had the same concerns and had the AFV wheel set in my hands... but did not use them in the end. There seem to be some differences between the ausf A and later road wheel versions. The ICM wheels have round hubs which are also present on the (earlier?) ausf A vehicles. Also the thin line between the wheel and the rubber rim seems different.

I used the ICM wheels in the end, carefully bending the wheel outward while spinning the wheel slowly.

sdkfz_251_ausf_a_12_of_66.jpg
the ausf A wheel
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-769-0235-31,_Frankreich,_Schützenpanzer_mit_Funkanlage.jpg

and the AFV wheels

images.jpg
https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/ ... r6248w.htm

But I am happy to be corrected when wrong ;-)

Eric

July 12th, 2018, 9:00 am #8

Hadn’t realised that but the round parts on the hubs of the preserved example look as though they may be press-on covers to prevent crud building up on the lubrication point, in which case they might potentially appear on other versions. It may be that they were dropped during production as a materials-saving measure though.

July 12th, 2018, 9:45 am #9

Thanks for this.  I think I can make the round cap easily enough, but it would be very hard to reshape the profile of the wheel into a more dished shape.  Therefore I’m going to try to find a set of AFV wheels if I can.

Eric, you have spotted that the early wheels don’t seem to have the four welds to the rim. Another thing for me to change!
Chris Lloyd-Staples

July 13th, 2018, 8:17 pm #10

The wheels and how to fix them were discussed here on ML some months back.  You can buy the AFV suspension bagged parts off eBay cheap. But the Ausf A used different wheels than the B/C/D 

You might want to do a search here and see the prior discussions.
DAVID NICKELS