Sd. Kfz 222

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Sd. Kfz 222

September 30th, 2017, 2:59 pm #1

Hi
Sorry I'm really not familiar with this theme.
I look for the best choice for a more or less out of the box build for a Sd. Kfz 222.
Which kit comes close the one at the pic.
As far as I remember there is no 100% correct kit on market yet,but my guess is the Hobbyboss
Grateful for your help

Cheers Oliver

September 30th, 2017, 5:49 pm #2

Either the ETO version (now with a nice metal gun and etched grenade screens) or the similar DAK version. To me it looks better than the HB kit. It takes some minor work here and there (make some new Jerry can racks). But at least the new ETO kit includes nice new jerry cans and some accessories, just not the racks. Plus you can get the Tamiya kits at a much lower price than the HB kits. The HB kits will have more fine detail, but are more fiddly to build. I still like the Tamiya kit. I don't think the HB kit is that much better although it is 40 years newer.
DAVID NICKELS

October 1st, 2017, 1:10 am #3

Hi
I look for the best choice for a more or less out of the box build for a Sd. Kfz 222.
As far as I remember there is no 100% correct kit on market yet,but my guess is the Hobbyboss
Grateful for your help

Cheers Oliver

I have an built both. The Tamiya kit is not bad for it's age, but to me a little too heavy and light on the details.
The HB kit is nice with an interior. If I had to really choose one, I like the HB better.

October 1st, 2017, 2:35 pm #4

Hi
Grateful for your help

Cheers Oliver

The Sd.Kfz.222 in the attached photo is an Ausf.B 5.Serie. The box art for the Hobby Boss and the Tamiya kits both seem to indicate that the kits are also this model. See Panzer Tracts 13-1 for details.

Hilary

October 1st, 2017, 3:43 pm #5

Hi
Grateful for your help

Cheers Oliver

Hi Oliver,

I built the Tamiya kit many years ago and it requires a lot of work to make it accurate. You can see mine in the Missing-Lynx Gallery and although I backdated it to an Ausf.A, a lot of the detail work still applies. I also have the Hobby Boss and Tristar kits and they are a much better kit to begin with. I can't say which is the better of the two but the angle bullet splash strips in front of the turret are incorrect on the HB kit.

Regards,

Tom
Tom Cockle

October 1st, 2017, 4:05 pm #6

Please note that the Tristar kit is now owned by Hobbyboss
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/268848- ... spaehwagen

KR,

Marc

October 1st, 2017, 4:11 pm #7

Hi Marc,

Correct, but they are totally different kits.

Regards,

Tom
Tom Cockle

October 1st, 2017, 6:01 pm #8

Both kits are Ausf.A 4.Serie (n/t)
Tom Cockle

October 2nd, 2017, 4:25 am #9

Hi
Grateful for your help

Cheers Oliver

There is no more the honeycomb grill on the engine. It is covered by a plate.
The latest type of Sd.Kfz. 222 series?

Steve

October 2nd, 2017, 5:00 am #10

Both kits are Ausf.A 4.Serie (n/t)
...it is simply fiction.
Even if this model is the most accurate in terms of overall dimension and shape of the body, it has never been produced as created by Tristar.
The chassis of the Tristar/HB model is from the Version "A", used for the 1-4th production run, with lever shock absorbers, fitted OUTSIDE the coil springs.
Strangely with the steering elements for the rear axle "IN FRONT" of th erear axle, correct for a 5th production run vehicle (= chassis version "B") and incorrect for the chassis version "A"
But this error was even copied by all other HB models of their Sd.Kfz 221/222/223 series.

While the Tristar body shows a 5th production run version:
Right side drivers visor moved more forward than on 3rd and 4th production run vehicles.
Side indicator on the front fenders.
A round cover plate left/right on the Oberwanne, in front of the engine armour, to cover the holes where the tiltable antenna of the Sd.Kfz 223 was guided.
Note: The body of 5th production run was used for both Sd.Kfz 222 and 223.
Only missing on the model is the seam between Oberwanne and Engine armour, which is the result of the dividing of Oberwanne and Engine armour to allow the remove of the enigne armour to get better acces to the engine. This was introduced with the 5th production run.

As Mr. Doyle pointed out: The photo of the thread starter shows a Sd.Kfz 222, 5th production run, which is fully covered by the Tamiya Sd.Kfz 222, because the Tamiya model even has the modified cooling air entry on top of the Oberwanne, beside the cooling water cap, as result of the "Kampfraumheizung" introduced in Sept. 42, and shown on the photo.

Rgeards,
Erich