Sculpture Base

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Sculpture Base

Barry Gazso
Barry Gazso

November 13th, 2001, 3:10 pm #1

Greetings,

A couple months ago I got some help here on a dio I was planning that included a sculpture in a town square. Well, I have the figure to use for the sculpture, and I'm ready to construct the base/platform. It'll have some tallish steps upon which will be a fat vertical "column". The sculpture will sit on that. The reason this thing has to be beefy is that some G.I's will be using it for cover.

Anyhow, I've been trying to figure-out how to make the base and column, and just haven't settled on a good way to do it. It needs to be pretty precise and have some texture. I've decided not to use any wood - I can't have even the possibility of warping.

One thought would be to make a "mold" out of styrene and pour resin. I don't want to do a rubber mold since this will be a one-off casting. Do you think this is feasible? The styrene is rigid of course, but I thought I could just trash it when removing the casting. I could texture the inside face of the styrene with liquid glue or something.

I borrowed a hot wire foam cutter from work, but the face of the foam just isn't smooth enough after running it through.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Barry

Ian MacAulay
Ian MacAulay

November 13th, 2001, 5:44 pm #2

Most of the Dragon 1/16 figures come with a base measuring approx 2 & 5/8" square at the top and flared to 3 & 2/8" square at the bottom. The height is approx 1 & 5/8" Every time I look at one of these, I think it looks like the base of a statue. Perhaps this would work for you.

HTH

Ian MacAulay
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

Jos van Hooff
Jos van Hooff

November 13th, 2001, 6:39 pm #3

Greetings,

A couple months ago I got some help here on a dio I was planning that included a sculpture in a town square. Well, I have the figure to use for the sculpture, and I'm ready to construct the base/platform. It'll have some tallish steps upon which will be a fat vertical "column". The sculpture will sit on that. The reason this thing has to be beefy is that some G.I's will be using it for cover.

Anyhow, I've been trying to figure-out how to make the base and column, and just haven't settled on a good way to do it. It needs to be pretty precise and have some texture. I've decided not to use any wood - I can't have even the possibility of warping.

One thought would be to make a "mold" out of styrene and pour resin. I don't want to do a rubber mold since this will be a one-off casting. Do you think this is feasible? The styrene is rigid of course, but I thought I could just trash it when removing the casting. I could texture the inside face of the styrene with liquid glue or something.

I borrowed a hot wire foam cutter from work, but the face of the foam just isn't smooth enough after running it through.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Barry
Hi

On the dutch DG by TWENOT Marijn van Gils explains what techniques he used to make his prize-winning church. Maybe that will help you out.
http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/message ... 1003769781
If this isn't typed right, you can find it on page five of the TWENOT DG.

Jos

Barry Gazso
Barry Gazso

November 13th, 2001, 7:03 pm #4

Greetings,

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Barry
A couple good suggestions. God, I love this place.

Regards,
Barry

Mike Powell
Mike Powell

November 14th, 2001, 3:29 am #5

Barry,

I think I have a DML base if you want it. For the vertical column, why not try a piece of PVC pipe or something similar found at the hardware store?

marijn van gils
marijn van gils

November 14th, 2001, 11:50 am #6

Hi

On the dutch DG by TWENOT Marijn van Gils explains what techniques he used to make his prize-winning church. Maybe that will help you out.
http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/message ... 1003769781
If this isn't typed right, you can find it on page five of the TWENOT DG.

Jos
Yes, I would prefer these methods myself again for the making of the base.

In fact it works the same as you propose, but instead of resin you use ceramic plaster. The advantage is that it is much easier to add additional detail by carving after the plaster is dry (Thus the molds can be more simple and crudely made, thus quicker, you can clean upo the plaster casting easily), and also texturing will be easier. And also some damage is easy and quick to recreate. Resin is also quite expensive... For the column you can use some plastic/PVC pipe and use this as your mold. After the plaster has set, cut it open at two side and you can remove it easily.

HTH, and have fun!

Marijn

Barry Gazso
Barry Gazso

November 14th, 2001, 1:23 pm #7

...any hints on where to get ceramic plaster? Craft shops? Can't recall ever seeing it. All I ever see is plaster of Paris.

Thanks,
Barry

marijn van gils
marijn van gils

November 14th, 2001, 2:43 pm #8

Maybe ceramic plaster is the same as Plaster of Paris? In fact I don't know... I believe it has more then one name...

But craftshops are certainly the place to look. If it is the stuff they use to cast dollfaces etc., you found it. The main characteristics are that it dries much harder then normal plaster, making it much more suitable for our heavy-duty work and also for texturizing (harder to do, but the texture doesn't come of again). Verlinden used to do his buildings in this stuf. The brand (I'm sure there are a lot of them) I use is a German one and is called "Keraquick".

Best wishes with your quest!

Marijn

Bob Kerr
Bob Kerr

November 17th, 2001, 12:39 am #9

Barry,

I think I have a DML base if you want it. For the vertical column, why not try a piece of PVC pipe or something similar found at the hardware store?
Barry:

I know might sound kind of weird, but I was cruising the arts and crafts section of the local Walmart the other day and spotted some columns they use for wedding cakes. They're cheap, you get four, look like they're made of styrene and they come in at least two sizes (maybe three). They look just like the columns in Rome or Athens (Doric, maybe?) with the ribs running the length and the scrolled caps on the ends. I thought about getting some, making molds, then casting them in plaster and busting them up to use the pieces for ruins in dios. It seems to me like you could use one or parts of one for your pedestal, then have three others left over for whatever.

MTCW,

Bob