scrathbuilding question

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

scrathbuilding question

July 27th, 2006, 6:56 pm #1

I have numerous photo refs of tanks and sometime I want to add something that is not on the model or the PE set. How do you folks decide the dimensions of a hook, clamp etc based on photos? Related to this question are lift hooks included in PE set generally too thin?

July 27th, 2006, 7:36 pm #2

Painting also adds dimension. What I use to determine size is two rulers; one regular metric ruler and a scale ruler. I determine the size of the object or part I need to build and then compare it to another object or are in the photograph. Ideally scale drawings are better but if you only have photos this is the way to do it.

July 28th, 2006, 8:55 pm #3

I have numerous photo refs of tanks and sometime I want to add something that is not on the model or the PE set. How do you folks decide the dimensions of a hook, clamp etc based on photos? Related to this question are lift hooks included in PE set generally too thin?
A big problem with many p-e parts is that maybe they are something that isnt ideally suited to flat, 2D etching. Things like hooks and lugs are usually cast or cut from thick metal, and just dont look like a thin, sharply edged p-e part. Some thick paint will round out the p-e part a bit, but still, maybe making the parts from plastic is still better. Of course p-e sets always duplicate things that should be made from rod or round metal, like handles and cages, with flat etching too. Those parts are best made with wire or plastic rod instead of flat etch. Some tool clamps in p-e are out of scale ut easier to build. Maybe some of the more "in scale" stuff is more accurate but is harder to work with. Then some things just dont work in p-e at all... like all of Eduard's wheeled vehicle sets seem to give a flat p-e steering wheel!
DAVID NICKELS