Scratch built BT-7 in 1:16 scale

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Scratch built BT-7 in 1:16 scale

April 26th, 2012, 10:37 pm #1

Hi guys,

Ever since I've built the Eastern Express kit I have been in love with the Soviet BT-7 tank. In winter 2010, after I had collected enough reference material and had bought the Tamiya kit, I set about scratch building a model of this little tank in 1:16 scale. The project has been on the back burner for a year and a half, but I have recently picked up the project again and have made good progress with the turret.
This is a project of many firsts for me, and I'm still learning as I progress. I hope I'll ever reach 'Tegnerian' skill levels!

As you can see I have built most detail parts already, and I will have these cast in resin where I need multiples. I might have all parts cast for an additional model (perhaps I'll do a model 1937 if this one's finished). The wheels will be modelled in 3D by a friend and printed, then cast in resin.

I have finished drawing the hull plates in a vector image and these will be laser cut next week.

All comments are welcome!

- Eelke

April 27th, 2012, 2:19 am #2

...but a great job on this one! Crazy cool!

Best regards,

Robert

April 27th, 2012, 8:02 am #3

Hi guys,

Ever since I've built the Eastern Express kit I have been in love with the Soviet BT-7 tank. In winter 2010, after I had collected enough reference material and had bought the Tamiya kit, I set about scratch building a model of this little tank in 1:16 scale. The project has been on the back burner for a year and a half, but I have recently picked up the project again and have made good progress with the turret.
This is a project of many firsts for me, and I'm still learning as I progress. I hope I'll ever reach 'Tegnerian' skill levels!

As you can see I have built most detail parts already, and I will have these cast in resin where I need multiples. I might have all parts cast for an additional model (perhaps I'll do a model 1937 if this one's finished). The wheels will be modelled in 3D by a friend and printed, then cast in resin.

I have finished drawing the hull plates in a vector image and these will be laser cut next week.

- Eelke

Design a super interesting ... I hope that soon there will be more pictures from the construction of the model. I am very curious how they will look wheels with a 3D printer .... Will the model of the interior and engine?.
Very good cast texture on the hook ...
Good luck in your work - Andy

1:15 scale resin panzer..
http://bigtank120.blogspot.com/

April 27th, 2012, 8:30 am #4

Hi guys,

- Eelke

Great stuf Eelke! Lovely clean work - this is going to be something special. Once your working in 1:16 there's no going back.

regards David
AFV Modeller

April 27th, 2012, 9:21 am #5

Hi guys,

- Eelke

Thats an excellent clean build, I also quite like the BT series of tanks as the tracks are fairly large and from a casting point of view ideal. I can't wait to see the progress.

All the best
Steve
Last edited by Stephen Tegner on April 27th, 2012, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 27th, 2012, 2:19 pm #6

Hi guys,

- Eelke

Is very impressive the clean job you got on turret, how much Evergreen you bought?

CAD drawings and 3D printers are the future of scratch building!

April 27th, 2012, 3:36 pm #7

Hi guys,

- Eelke

Hello Eelke,
That's a real nice job you've done so far!
Just could'nt help letting you know that I scratchbuilt the ancestor of your tank, which was the Christie T3 medium tank in that same scale.
But I didn't used laser cut parts!...
Just click this link if you feel like watching:
http://manu-military.e-monsite.com/page ... -tank.html

April 28th, 2012, 10:27 pm #8

Hi guys,

- Eelke

I'll look forward to future updates of this----excellent scratchwork!
I like these early light tanks too--great subject for it
please carry on!
AK

April 29th, 2012, 11:33 pm #9

Hi guys,

- Eelke

Thanks for your comments! 1:16 scale is a strange scale indeed. My 1:35 'scale eye' is of no use at all with this model, and I constantly have to measure detail parts to make sure they're the right size.
Andy: the way I have constructed the turret is very primitive - basically a layer cake skeleton with a thin skin. This means I can't open hatches and add an interior, and the same goes for the hull. Maybe next time!
Dario: I didn't buy enough, I'm almost out of 0.5 mm plate!
Emmanuel: your model has been a great inspiration for me, and it gave me the final push I needed the build the BT-7. What computer program did you use to make the wheel, and where did you have it printed?

May 2nd, 2012, 10:43 am #10

HI,
I sent you an email @ you gmail address.