Scaling a diorama

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Scaling a diorama

September 24th, 2011, 5:17 pm #1

I am lousy at math so can some one please tell me what a 1/35th scale representation of Omaha Beach would be..

It says in "SPEARHEADING D-DAY" that the run for the men was 1200 yards. What would that lenght be in 1/35th scale.

Thanks in advance

Tony

September 24th, 2011, 6:58 pm #2

In 1/35 scale, 1" is equal to 35", or about 3 feet. Therefore, 1200 yards in 1/1 would equal about 1200 inches (1234.29 inches) in 1/35. That would be a huge dio.

Gino P. Quintiliani

Field Artillery --- The KING of BATTLE!!!

HeavyArty's Showcase

Field Artillery --- The KING of BATTLE!!!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

September 24th, 2011, 8:15 pm #3

Thanks for the calculation.. I guess it is time for selective compression as the work space can only fit about 2 feet.

Thanks Again

Tony

September 24th, 2011, 10:42 pm #4

I am lousy at math so can some one please tell me what a 1/35th scale representation of Omaha Beach would be..

It says in "SPEARHEADING D-DAY" that the run for the men was 1200 yards. What would that lenght be in 1/35th scale.

Thanks in advance

Tony
Tony,

I need a little clarification. You stated:
"that the run for the men was 1200 yards."

By that, do you mean how far the troops had to run up the beach? Or how wide Omaha Beach was?

As I recall, the section called Omaha beach was about 5 miles long and divided into 10 sectors (how wide each was in unknown). 1200 yards is 3600 feet, or almost 3/4's of a mile. That could be 1 sector.

If they are referring to how far the men had to run up the beach after leaving the landing craft, 3/4's of a mile is a looong way. I don't think the beach was that deep.

Steve

"...any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worth while, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." John F. Kennedy, 1963

October 6th, 2011, 1:20 am #5

Thanks in advance

Tony
At Loose Cannon 1/700 products. You could feasibly do a mile of beach in less than eight feet. I've met with the owner in Aurora, CO, and the stuff is incredibly well detailed. They have a Shrman tank factory diorama that really has to be seen to be believed.

October 6th, 2011, 2:39 pm #6

Tony,

I need a little clarification. You stated:
"that the run for the men was 1200 yards."

By that, do you mean how far the troops had to run up the beach? Or how wide Omaha Beach was?

As I recall, the section called Omaha beach was about 5 miles long and divided into 10 sectors (how wide each was in unknown). 1200 yards is 3600 feet, or almost 3/4's of a mile. That could be 1 sector.

If they are referring to how far the men had to run up the beach after leaving the landing craft, 3/4's of a mile is a looong way. I don't think the beach was that deep.

Steve

"...any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worth while, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." John F. Kennedy, 1963
... I agree. In reading books on D--Day, I also seem to recall that Omaha beach at low tide was a 1/4 of a mile(440 yards) deep and 6 miles wide (from Point du Hoc to Port-en-Bessin)

- ralph

"Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the willingness to walk through it."

October 9th, 2011, 5:09 am #7

At Loose Cannon 1/700 products. You could feasibly do a mile of beach in less than eight feet. I've met with the owner in Aurora, CO, and the stuff is incredibly well detailed. They have a Shrman tank factory diorama that really has to be seen to be believed.
The first thing that jumped out at me was what Steve and Ralph noted... 1200 FEET equates to about 400 yards, and that was surely the deepest point of the beach. I wanted to do a perfectly scaled Rorke's Drift. But since I do not have anything the size of, oh, a tennis court, I am using artistic license! I have a DDay scenario in 1/72 planned as well, and intend to put it in "my scale"...
I applaud your efforts, however!