SAS Jeep North Africa, Matchbox 1/76

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

SAS Jeep North Africa, Matchbox 1/76

July 10th, 2012, 7:08 pm #1

This is my first attempt in Braille scale, normally I do aircraft in 1/48th, but I did it under pressure from some friends of mine-fanatic small scale lovers!!
I decided to do an SAS Jeep, since I really love the looks and the history of them and I used the old Matchbox kit from the LRDG box.
I used almost everything in the box to load it up,plus some resin and white metal items from my friends spare box-I had nothing suitable for this subject- plus several scratchbuild accessories.

With Tamiya Epoxy Putty I changed the looks of the crew,making them more characteristic SAS figures (something between shepherds dressed by Gaultier and officers dressed by a flea market basket)

I decided to go for Desert Pink-Olive Green camo.I used Gunze paints to make the appropriate tones and sprayed them with my Iwata.
I painted all the rest and the crew by brush with Vallejo acrylics.

And here is all together:

I have to admit that I really loved the experience and I'm already planning my next visit to the dark side!
Your comments,questions,criticism are more than welcomed.

Constantinos

July 10th, 2012, 7:20 pm #2

You got to be happy with that
great detail, Welcome
Cheers Elliott

July 10th, 2012, 7:21 pm #3

This is my first attempt in Braille scale, normally I do aircraft in 1/48th, but I did it under pressure from some friends of mine-fanatic small scale lovers!!
I decided to do an SAS Jeep, since I really love the looks and the history of them and I used the old Matchbox kit from the LRDG box.
I used almost everything in the box to load it up,plus some resin and white metal items from my friends spare box-I had nothing suitable for this subject- plus several scratchbuild accessories.

With Tamiya Epoxy Putty I changed the looks of the crew,making them more characteristic SAS figures (something between shepherds dressed by Gaultier and officers dressed by a flea market basket)

I decided to go for Desert Pink-Olive Green camo.I used Gunze paints to make the appropriate tones and sprayed them with my Iwata.

I have to admit that I really loved the experience and I'm already planning my next visit to the dark side!

Constantinos

Constantinos, great job! The vehicle and the figures look superb, I like all the detaills, the painting and weathering - what a start into braille scale! Congrats,
Cheers,
Christian

July 10th, 2012, 7:30 pm #4

Constantinos

Hi Constantino,

Now you have been bitten by the Braille bug there is no cure, the contagion will take hold and you will find yourself perusing the 1/72 armour in the traders lists, it's inevitable.

Well done with your first effort, beautifully realised and totally redolent of the pictures showing the SAS jeeps in the Western Desert. The detailing is superb and the figures first rate, well done. Now you need to do the European version with the famous 'Paddy' Maine, would make a nice companion for your little gem.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

July 10th, 2012, 7:35 pm #5

Constantinos

Hello Constantinos. 1/48 Airfraft's loss is our gain. Your jeep looks terrific and you have a sublime touch with a paint brush. I particularly like the extra animation you have employed on the figures. Keep it up.

Regards
Dan
Dan Taylor Modelworks

"My life is like my room - I'm sure it was tidy two days ago" Alphonse Tram in the film 'Buffet Froid' 1979

July 10th, 2012, 8:03 pm #6

Constantinos

Didn't know that oldy-but-goodie could look so good.

Superb work for a "first time". Can only dream what you will turn out after gaining some experience.

Cheers
Rob

<a href="http://www.onthewaymodels.com/" rel="nofollow">

</a>

July 10th, 2012, 8:34 pm #7

Constantinos

Excellent build, excellent finish and really motivating, thanks for sharing!....Will

July 10th, 2012, 8:55 pm #8

Constantinos

Excellent, love it!

Adam

July 10th, 2012, 9:34 pm #9

Constantinos

Hi,
I'm struck by the beauty of the model.

Saluti e Buon Modellismo

July 10th, 2012, 9:43 pm #10

Great job! Any chance of increasing the size of the model in the pics, as it is difficult to admire your work of the finished model the way it is now.