Sanding Resin Underwater?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Sanding Resin Underwater?

Mike Pabis
Mike Pabis

September 18th, 2003, 4:48 am #1

I thought I have heard about sanding resin pieces underwater to reduce the amount of dust. Forgive me from being niave, but how would one do this? Do you need a huge tub or anything will do? What type of sandpaper would you use? Thanks.

Jakko Westerbeke
Jakko Westerbeke

September 18th, 2003, 9:53 am #2

You could sand it under running water from the nearest tap that has a sink large enough for you to work in. However, my experience is that you don't really need to do it this way. Just keep a small pan or something filled with water handy, and every so often wet the area to be sanded with it (just dip your fingers in and sprinkle water over the model), and also clean the sandpaper by dipping it in water when it gets clogged. Instead of resin dust, you'll get a slurry of dust mixed with water, which will keep it safely down instead of in the air where you will breathe it in.

As for the kind of sandpaper, go to a hardware store and buy so-called "wet-or-dry" sandpaper. If you use ordinary sandpaper, the whole sheet will probably come apart if you soak it in water and then try to use it; OTOH, wet-or-dry sandpaper is water-resistant.

Paul Roberts
Paul Roberts

September 18th, 2003, 2:59 pm #3

Sanding anything this way works really well as the paper cuts better, lasts longer and gives a smoother result. When sanding exterior surfaces you can make the job even smoother by putting a little liquid soap in the pan of water. The soap acts as an even better lubricant and cutting fluid than plain water permitting you to effectively use even finer grits of sandpaper without them clogging very much or allowing you to remove a LOT of material with the coarser grades.

When the paper appears to be clogged, just rinse in the water and it pretty much all comes off permitting you to reuse that same area.

And all without dust issues.

BTW Wet and Dry also lasts a lot longer than plain grit dry papers for wood.

HTH

Paul

J.L.Segundo Jr.
J.L.Segundo Jr.

September 19th, 2003, 5:15 pm #4

I thought I have heard about sanding resin pieces underwater to reduce the amount of dust. Forgive me from being niave, but how would one do this? Do you need a huge tub or anything will do? What type of sandpaper would you use? Thanks.
Both Jakko and Paul have pretty much covered everything. I personally use the disposable plastic food containers that can be found at Wal-Mart. The one thing I do keep handy is an old toothbrush. I like working with resin figures and the toothbrush helps keep the slop out of the detail. I use the brush to keep an eye on my progress.

JLS Jr.