Sand of Juno beach

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Sand of Juno beach

April 27th, 2004, 3:18 pm #1

Bonjour,

Can anyone suggest a way to reproduce the type of sand found on Juno beach? Which material should I use? What colour(s) should I paint it? Did the Germans put any anti-tank obstacles similar to the ones sold by Tamiya and Italeri on Juno? Any suggestions on reproducing water and wet sand? TIA.

Regards from Canada.
Francois

Mark Burks
Mark Burks

April 27th, 2004, 9:55 pm #2

I believe it was the Japanese who defended Iwo Jima!! Anyway, I believe the sand was black....being volcanic in nature.

April 27th, 2004, 10:11 pm #3

n/t

Regards from Canada.
Francois

Mark Burks
Mark Burks

April 28th, 2004, 10:01 pm #4

Sorry bud!!! I only thought I couldn't type!!

April 30th, 2004, 2:31 pm #5

Bonjour,

Can anyone suggest a way to reproduce the type of sand found on Juno beach? Which material should I use? What colour(s) should I paint it? Did the Germans put any anti-tank obstacles similar to the ones sold by Tamiya and Italeri on Juno? Any suggestions on reproducing water and wet sand? TIA.

Regards from Canada.
Francois
i've been ther lately and i remember it as being light yellowish sand, like the sand found on almost any beach, and as for the anti tank stuff, on www.evidenceincamera.co.uk you can find a huge pile of earial pictures taken during the war, including of the actua; landing on the beaches. (at least that's what my news paper and local news told me.) HTH
Frank

Frank Sullivan
Frank Sullivan

April 30th, 2004, 11:21 pm #6

Bonjour,

Regards from Canada.
Francois
Atelier brand Impasto Gel (there's a website somewhere) is a blobby white creme which, when tinted with Tamiya Clear Green, cures nicely to a nice surf with a bit of white drybush on top for the foamy bits

May 2nd, 2004, 2:49 pm #7

Bonjour,

Regards from Canada.
Francois
n/t

Regards from Canada.
Francois

Tom Sime
Tom Sime

May 7th, 2004, 2:25 am #8

n/t

Regards from Canada.
Francois
Canadians didnt land at Iwo Jima nor did thay land at Normandy.

Well at least according to Mr. Paul Martin yes the Paul Martin who is the current Prime Minister of Canada.
According to this “Honorable Gentleman” the Canadian forces invaded “Norway” in 1944! Not only did he say this he actually repeated it a second time moments later.

If this doesn’t make a case for a more intensified focus on history in the school system then nothing does.

Tom