Saipan Satan finished

May 28th, 2017, 9:49 am #1

Recently finished this M3A1 Satan flame thrower tank. They were used during the battles of Saipan and Tinian in 1944, before purpose built flame Shermans became available. I used the chapter „Napalm“ form Richard Windrow’s terrain modelling book as a guide for the ground work.
The base kit is Academy (with AFV club suspension ) and the Satan conversion is from MR Modellbau. The figure is from Dragon’s Guadalcanal set (backdated to a 1944 Marine by the addition of a helmet camo cover and Kbar).

Cheers
Stefan

Just wondering...

May 28th, 2017, 11:41 am #2

Very well done model, like it a lot. Just wondering what all the red "fragments" in the underbrush represent. Probably me missing the obvious.
Last edited by Blurto on May 28th, 2017, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Just wondering...

May 28th, 2017, 12:31 pm #3

probably dying embers from the napalm inducted fire :0)

great one

May 28th, 2017, 12:34 pm #4

Recently finished this M3A1 Satan flame thrower tank. They were used during the battles of Saipan and Tinian in 1944, before purpose built flame Shermans became available. I used the chapter „Napalm“ form Richard Windrow’s terrain modelling book as a guide for the ground work.
The base kit is Academy (with AFV club suspension ) and the Satan conversion is from MR Modellbau. The figure is from Dragon’s Guadalcanal set (backdated to a 1944 Marine by the addition of a helmet camo cover and Kbar).

Cheers
Stefan

the just burnt ground is very well done and gives a nice contrast with the "Satan" and the figure.

mybe a tad bit more yellowish points here and there in the embers to bring them more "alive" ...

congrats !

I agree about the adding of

May 28th, 2017, 1:56 pm #5

Cheers
Stefan

some yellow to the tips of some of the glowing stick ends. That would set it off more. Having said that this is one of the most innovative vignettes I have ever seen ! The treatment of the freshly scorched earth is so well done and the whole thing is a brilliant idea. The overall black color with spots of gray and white is just spot on. The bunker sets the tone for the story and gives the reason for the flame tank. The tank itself is top notch work and the excellent figure compliments this so well. The painting on everything is very very nice !
This is all in all a quite memorable piece of work and a fitting tribute on the Memorial Day weekend as well.
J

Very nice!

May 28th, 2017, 1:57 pm #6

Cheers
Stefan

Wonderful work!
Your painting job is just terrific

May 28th, 2017, 1:58 pm #7

Cheers
Stefan

This is excellent in a number of ways and I'm going to save the photos for future reference. Every time I go back and look at it there's something new to appreciate. I need to ask how you managed the waterproofing residue, did you just paint it or did you add something to texture it with as well (just curious, I plan to do a Dieppe Churchill one of these days and will need to find a solution to the same detail)

One other question - is there a reason the contact surfaces of the roadwheels are black while the tracks are so muddy?

Thanks for sharing this with us!

darrencgawle at gmail.com

embers

May 28th, 2017, 4:04 pm #8

Very well done model, like it a lot. Just wondering what all the red "fragments" in the underbrush represent. Probably me missing the obvious.
Barry, they are meant to be embers from the fire, may add some yellow highlights as Frank suggested.

Stefan

yellow highlights

May 28th, 2017, 4:07 pm #9

the just burnt ground is very well done and gives a nice contrast with the "Satan" and the figure.

mybe a tad bit more yellowish points here and there in the embers to bring them more "alive" ...

congrats !
Thanks Franck (long time since I saw your name on ML the last time!)
yellow highlights are a good idea, will try it.

Stefan

Thanks Jerry

May 28th, 2017, 4:09 pm #10

some yellow to the tips of some of the glowing stick ends. That would set it off more. Having said that this is one of the most innovative vignettes I have ever seen ! The treatment of the freshly scorched earth is so well done and the whole thing is a brilliant idea. The overall black color with spots of gray and white is just spot on. The bunker sets the tone for the story and gives the reason for the flame tank. The tank itself is top notch work and the excellent figure compliments this so well. The painting on everything is very very nice !
This is all in all a quite memorable piece of work and a fitting tribute on the Memorial Day weekend as well.
J
Thanks Jerry, glad you like it. I will try the yellow highlights

Stefan