Safety concern with Tamiya acrylic.

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Safety concern with Tamiya acrylic.

Phil Fisher
Phil Fisher

March 2nd, 2004, 12:44 am #1

Hi. I've always used Humbrol enamel for airbrushing and use a respirator mask with organic vapour cartriges and paint filters and always felt well protected. I've recently switched to Tamiya acrylic and now after painting my head feels fuzzy. I read the label on the bottle and it's quite alarming:
"Adult modelers only. Contains isopropanol and glycol ethers. Do not allow product to come into contact with skin, eyes or mouth. Do not inhale vapours."

This sounds more serious than the usual "use in well ventilated area" that you find on most things like this, which I do (in the garden shed with the door open). And if it's dangerous to even get it on your skin how safe can it be?

My question is am I safe with my mask and rubber gloves? What precausions do you guys take?

Thanks.

Paul Krylowski
Paul Krylowski

March 2nd, 2004, 2:57 am #2

Hi,
I glue the mask to my face and duct tape over the filters for extra safety. Works great but I tend to passout if I don't work quickly. Another minor drawback is after I finish and rip the mask off my face a layer of skin will usually come with it. So it takes a week or so for my face to heal before I can put on the next coat. I tend to paint alot of solid colored models.

Phil (or whoever you are), I'd be more concerned with what is in my "garden shed" then spraying a model.

Jakko Westerbeke
Jakko Westerbeke

March 2nd, 2004, 10:11 am #3

Hi. I've always used Humbrol enamel for airbrushing and use a respirator mask with organic vapour cartriges and paint filters and always felt well protected. I've recently switched to Tamiya acrylic and now after painting my head feels fuzzy. I read the label on the bottle and it's quite alarming:
"Adult modelers only. Contains isopropanol and glycol ethers. Do not allow product to come into contact with skin, eyes or mouth. Do not inhale vapours."

This sounds more serious than the usual "use in well ventilated area" that you find on most things like this, which I do (in the garden shed with the door open). And if it's dangerous to even get it on your skin how safe can it be?

My question is am I safe with my mask and rubber gloves? What precausions do you guys take?

Thanks.
Safety precautions? I take care not to drink the paint, but that's about it. It sounds to me like this label is more designed to ward off lawyers than to actually warn you of true health risks presented by using this paint...

Do you drink alcoholic beverages, spend reasonable amounts of time near someone who smokes, walk near cars with their engines running, cross busy streets, or perform similar hazardous activities every so often? If you do, then I doubt you'll have much to worry about from paints in the quantities we modellers use

Niels Koster
Niels Koster

March 2nd, 2004, 11:04 am #4

Thanks.
My precaution is not touching the model when its wet.

Tamiya acrylic are safe ive used them for 10 years now and on my skin (for testing drybrush).

Phil Fisher
Phil Fisher

March 2nd, 2004, 12:22 pm #5

Thanks.
Thanks everybody (except Paul). I just wanted to check but I guess I'm overreacting.

Chris Salak
Chris Salak

March 2nd, 2004, 3:39 pm #6

Thanks.
While flushing window cleaner through the airbrush at the end of a session, lots of ammoniated cleaner gets put into vapor form. This is because I open the valve all the way and pump the cleaner through. This is easily breathed, and also can cause mild chemical burn effects in your eyes. When I first started using this, I could taste the cleaner and once my eyes even got a little red including the skin area of the eye sockets. Now I sit next to an open window, wear a mask, and safety goggles.

However, this is mainly for the cleaner. While painting the valve is closed way down and very little paint is actually used, at least with a Tamiya HG brush.

Alan Bessler
Alan Bessler

March 2nd, 2004, 4:39 pm #7

nt

Alan Bessler
Alan Bessler

March 2nd, 2004, 9:23 pm #8

Thanks everybody (except Paul). I just wanted to check but I guess I'm overreacting.
Also be concerned as far as safety go's.My 2cts.

Paul Krylowski
Paul Krylowski

March 3rd, 2004, 5:04 am #9

Thanks.
I misunderstood your sincere intent.

regards,
Paul

andre Sousa
andre Sousa

March 3rd, 2004, 5:15 pm #10

Thanks.
I do not think you are overreacting.

I always use a respirator when airbrushing even with acrylics (except when I forget it).

It may be harmful, or it may not be. It’ may be less aggressive that the pollution that we breath every day, or it may be worse.... I do not know, but as far as I 'm concern I do not want to take chances with my health, since I plan to build models until I'm 90! I prefer to be excessively prudent than be wrong....

There is no big certainty about health effects of long term exposure to certain chemicals, the studies sometimes point in different directions and as we progress certain chemicals we believed harmless are in fact dangerous (like cigarettes) others that we believed harmful are in fact good for your health. But I agree with Jakko, this is probably Tamyia trying to avoid a law suit.

So If you want my opinion do not go overboard but be prudent, and do not mess with your health, since as you can see following this links that ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL, does not seem to be completely benign (although I’m not a chemist, so my ability to understand the real risk is none)

http://www.scorecard.org/chemical-profi ... 7%2d63%2d0

cheers and happy (healthy) modelling

Andre