S-Model Kettenkrad

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

S-Model Kettenkrad

January 2nd, 2014, 7:53 pm #1

I recently received a set of S-Model's new Kettenkrads - two to a box. They look much better and scale correct than the old Hasegawa kit or even the, gasp, Atlantic soft plastic set that are likely familiar many here.

However, I was a bit disappointed to see the rear hand-hold bars around the passenger seat were largely filled in. I guess they can be drilled out, but I'm unsure why I should have to do that. Have any others here got comments (praise / complaints) about the kit?

- George

January 2nd, 2014, 8:08 pm #2

or any other S-Model kit for that matter (who sells them?)

But usually when it comes to handles, etc, if present even in resin they are sometimes too thick, so I usually cut them off and fix my own from solder wire.

I recently bought a handle 'bender' from Micro-Mark, so that should make my handles even better looking and easier to make.
Last edited by Tony Ivey on January 2nd, 2014, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Ivey

January 2nd, 2014, 9:54 pm #3

I recently received a set of S-Model's new Kettenkrads - two to a box. They look much better and scale correct than the old Hasegawa kit or even the, gasp, Atlantic soft plastic set that are likely familiar many here.

However, I was a bit disappointed to see the rear hand-hold bars around the passenger seat were largely filled in. I guess they can be drilled out, but I'm unsure why I should have to do that. Have any others here got comments (praise / complaints) about the kit?

- George
...Tracks and Troops (in the Czech Republic) and from the The Hobby Den (in Ireland); also Free Time Hobbies (in California, USA), although Free Time is currently out of Sheridans.

Paul Gaertner

January 2nd, 2014, 10:16 pm #4

- George
I recently got my hands on this little gem as well and am quite pleased with the quality. Concerning the grab handles on the rear of the vehicle, it seems the kettenkrad was produced both with and without this area partially covered. These areas do not need to be drilled out and appear to be historically accurate from photos I've researched on the web.

Here are a few pics of the kit...

Cheers,
Peter

January 2nd, 2014, 11:18 pm #5

- George
Hi George,
here is a picture of a late type Kettenkrad like the S-Model-kit is:

I would have prefered an early type , roadwheels and idlers with 8 supports (like they where used by german paras on Crete 1941), but the s-model kit looks very good on pics to me, so i will get a load of it.

cheers oke

January 3rd, 2014, 2:29 pm #6

Peter and Oke,

Thank you very much for the clarification, especially the photo. My confidence in S-Model is renewed.

- George

January 3rd, 2014, 11:26 pm #7

...Tracks and Troops (in the Czech Republic) and from the The Hobby Den (in Ireland); also Free Time Hobbies (in California, USA), although Free Time is currently out of Sheridans.

Paul Gaertner
this is the correct url for freetime hobbieshttp://www.freetimehobbies.com/
great store,
jim